Re: [tips_and_tricks] Collection problem

  • Bill Bauer
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
      Don't ever believe that if a collection agency purchases a debt that it will be
      extingushed. Nothing on earth could be further from the truth and if you doubt
      that then please be so kind as to give me a court case number wherein the judge
      denied the collector the right to collect on a debt he had purchased.

      Tim Kiley wrote:

      > Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?
      >
      > Tm Kiley

    • Brian Brooks
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
        I go to court 5-1-03 for a judement with discover....what do i say

        Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?

        Tm Kiley

        > Demand the contract making your wife liable.
        > Your son might want to sue the agency for the amount in question for
        selling
        > him insurance that didn't pay.

      • Tom Kearse
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
          is this in regards to the rental truck referenced below?
          I go to court 5-1-03 for a judement with discover....what do i say

          Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?

          Tm Kiley

          > Demand the contract making your wife liable.
          > Your son might want to sue the agency for the amount in question for
          selling
          > him insurance that didn't pay.

          ---
        • Tim Kiley
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
            Get and study the Richard Cornforth materials... FAST!

            Tim Kiley

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
              Cornforths matrials on void judgements are excellent, but one needs to know procedure first, and that is the only way to make a void judgement argument stick.
              If i were in that situation, i would procedurally establish the validity (or lack thereof) of the judgement before court date.  Then you go into court and present the judge with the agreement of the parties, no controversy, no case.

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                The best advice I have to offer is don't go and don't argue with them. Let them get their judgment then once the judgment is memorialized go get copies of the paperwork in the judgment and look for ways to get it vacated on motion to vacate void judgment. Since there are at least 23 reasons why a judgment might be null and void upon it's face its not all that tough to get them vacated.

                That's the way I go after them. Works for me.