Re: [tips_and_tricks] Collection problem

  • Tom Kearse
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
      Demand the contract making your wife liable.
      Your son might want to sue the agency for the amount in question for selling
      him insurance that didn't pay.
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
        Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?

        Tm Kiley

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > ---

      • *
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
          The collection agency must abide by the FDCPA and if you respond within
          thirty days (the letter they send is required to have the 30 day notice) to
          their letter, they must validate and I doubt they could validate the alleged
          debt.

          However, even if they send something as a validation, it is quite unlikely
          that anyone will ever face them in court as the collection agency, unless
          they have purchased the alleged debt, has not standing to bring suit. And
          even if you do not request a validation, I don't see how the record would be
          "stacked against you" as not requesting a validation does not, in any way,
          admit liability.

          Even if the rental company sues, I think the record is stacked against them
          as there is no contract for rental with that person. Her credit card was
          only given to guarantee the rental and not used to pay for the rental. When
          the truck was rented, the guarantee for renting it expired and a rental
          contract was entered into with the renter. If the rental company actually
          had a claim based on the guarantee of rental, they would have simply charged
          it to the card.

          There might even be a suit against the rental company for violations of the
          FCRA, plus a possible suit against the collection agency for violations of
          the FDCPA if they are not careful.

          Gary

          They must proceed within the guidelines of the fair debt collection act,
          unless you "waive "same via silence. You need to stop them
          administratively, or potentially face them in court, with the record stacked
          against you.

          > I want to get the groups take on a collection matter.The sum in
          > dispute is 3600$Here are the facts.My wife called a truck rental
          > agency and reserved a moving van for my son to use to
          > move.She gave a credit card # to the person making the
          > reservation over the phone in order to reserve the truck.During
          > the course of the move the truck was damaged by hitting an
          > overhead train trestle.The damage to the truck ,they claim is
          > 3600$.My son signed the contract,not my wife,my son purchased
          > the insurance from the rental agency.My son claims he was told,
          > at the time of rental ,the insurance covers any and all damages.I
          > was not a witness to that remark.Scince my son is young and
          > has a family and is just starting out in life he has no assets nor
          > much of a credit record.I think the company is going after the
          > deeper pockets.The rental company gave my wife 10 days to pay
          > or the sum gets sent to a collection agency.My thought would be
          > to ask the collection agency to verify the claimed debt.There is no
          > signed contract by my wife.any other thoughts on the matter
          > would be welcome.Thanks in advance.
          > Brad

          ---

        • *
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
            The collection agency MIGHT purchase the debt, so do and some don't. I
            don't think a collection agency purchasing the debt will "extinguish" the
            debt. If they purchase it, they will try to collect it and may bring suit
            for the collection, it's done every day.

            There is a theory that only the original creditor has standing to sue but I
            have not seen anyone present any evidence, case law or statutes that say
            that.

            Gary

            Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?

            Tm Kiley

            > Demand the contract making your wife liable.
            > Your son might want to sue the agency for the amount in question for
            selling
            > him insurance that didn't pay.

          • Edwin Clements
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
              I had the same kind of thing happen about 7 years ago.
              I paid $70 extra for insurance and then the truck ran
              into an over-covering in front of a hotel. It caused
              some damage to the hotel over-covering and a small
              dent, almost unnoticeable, on the roof of the truck.
              I thought it was supposed to be covered by that
              insurance that I paid $70 for and they tried to tell
              me that it was "secondary insurance" meaning that my
              car insurance policy should have taken care of it.
              Well, I checked with my insurance agent before renting
              the truck and he said that it would not cover a rental
              truck and that was why I got the extra insurance in
              the first place. So I wrote them back and told them
              that I had been told that there was nothing else I
              needed to do, and I never heard any more from them.
              (I can't say that was the exact sequence of events, it
              has been 7 years after all.) But I am sure that if I
              had filed a claim on my car insurance they would have
              raised my rates, so I think they were just trying to
              rip me off. This was U-Haul that tried to do this.
              I suggest you demand verification and I hope you
              fight this. If they are going to sell this expensive
              "insurance" and then try to make you pay for this,
              then they are just trying to rip you off. It probably
              would not be a bad idea, when renting these things, to
              have a small tape recorder going when you ask the
              rental guy "does this insurance cover everything?" and
              he says "yes". Or witnesses.

              http://tax.yahoo.com
            • Bill Bauer
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                Don't ever believe that if a collection agency purchases a debt that it will be
                extingushed. Nothing on earth could be further from the truth and if you doubt
                that then please be so kind as to give me a court case number wherein the judge
                denied the collector the right to collect on a debt he had purchased.

                Tim Kiley wrote:

                > Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?
                >
                > Tm Kiley

              • Brian Brooks
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
                  I go to court 5-1-03 for a judement with discover....what do i say

                  Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?

                  Tm Kiley

                  > Demand the contract making your wife liable.
                  > Your son might want to sue the agency for the amount in question for
                  selling
                  > him insurance that didn't pay.

                • Tom Kearse
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                    is this in regards to the rental truck referenced below?
                    I go to court 5-1-03 for a judement with discover....what do i say

                    Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?

                    Tm Kiley

                    > Demand the contract making your wife liable.
                    > Your son might want to sue the agency for the amount in question for
                    selling
                    > him insurance that didn't pay.

                    ---
                  • Tim Kiley
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                      Get and study the Richard Cornforth materials... FAST!

                      Tim Kiley

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                        Cornforths matrials on void judgements are excellent, but one needs to know procedure first, and that is the only way to make a void judgement argument stick.
                        If i were in that situation, i would procedurally establish the validity (or lack thereof) of the judgement before court date.  Then you go into court and present the judge with the agreement of the parties, no controversy, no case.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                          The best advice I have to offer is don't go and don't argue with them. Let them get their judgment then once the judgment is memorialized go get copies of the paperwork in the judgment and look for ways to get it vacated on motion to vacate void judgment. Since there are at least 23 reasons why a judgment might be null and void upon it's face its not all that tough to get them vacated.

                          That's the way I go after them. Works for me.