Re: [tips_and_tricks] Fw: Today's Legal News, March 28, 2003

  • Edwin Clements
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      I think that if you are in a privately-owned
      establishment such as a bar, the owner is going to
      have the right to decide whether photography is
      allowed in there or not. If he says you can't do it
      in there, then that's that. It is not THAT public. I
      think "public" means like outdoors in some public
      place, street, park, etc. where people who are there
      cannot expect to have the same kind of privacy that
      they would have in their homes or their own property.
      I don't think that would mean that you have the right
      to use photos of people without their permission,
      unless it is the news and you are shooting the photos
      for a newspaper or something.

      Now I am not 100% sure about all this, it just seems
      like that is what I have heard on the subject. If you
      want to take a picture of somebody, the best thing to
      do is ask them first. Of course if you are a
      commercial photographer you are going to have them
      sign a "model release" which gives you permission.

      You might look at some photography web sites for more
      information on this.

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • Advancepum@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        In a message dated 4/1/2003 10:19:03 PM Central Standard Time,
        turbodog@... writes:

        << i have a legal question
        i dont know if this is the correct forum, i appolgise if it is not
        i was told tonight that it is illegal to take a photograph in a bar
        i assumed that since a bar was a public place, that photos were legal
        am i right or wrong?
        PS, i live in louisiana by the way

        TAKING THE PHOTOGRAPH ISN'T THE DEAL IT IS WHERE AND WHAT YOU PRINT IT ON OR
        IN. THEN YOU PROBABLY HAVE TO HAVE SIGNED PERMISSION
        PAUL IN CCHICAGO