Re: [tips_and_tricks] Fw: Today's Legal News, March 28, 2003

  • Daniel Quackenbush
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      Whoa Nellie, I don't know what the courts have ruled or what the statute's say in Louisiana, but in my opinion it *may* be a violation of the First Amendment for the government to prevent you from taking a picture inside a bar.  (It is wise to research this issue before you take pictures!)  However, the bar, being a private entity, may be able to lawfully prohibit you from taking pictures inside the bar.  I am curious, what would be the rationale for preventing picture taking inside a bar?
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        I think that if you are in a privately-owned
        establishment such as a bar, the owner is going to
        have the right to decide whether photography is
        allowed in there or not. If he says you can't do it
        in there, then that's that. It is not THAT public. I
        think "public" means like outdoors in some public
        place, street, park, etc. where people who are there
        cannot expect to have the same kind of privacy that
        they would have in their homes or their own property.
        I don't think that would mean that you have the right
        to use photos of people without their permission,
        unless it is the news and you are shooting the photos
        for a newspaper or something.

        Now I am not 100% sure about all this, it just seems
        like that is what I have heard on the subject. If you
        want to take a picture of somebody, the best thing to
        do is ask them first. Of course if you are a
        commercial photographer you are going to have them
        sign a "model release" which gives you permission.

        You might look at some photography web sites for more
        information on this.

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • Advancepum@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
          In a message dated 4/1/2003 10:19:03 PM Central Standard Time,
          turbodog@... writes:

          << i have a legal question
          i dont know if this is the correct forum, i appolgise if it is not
          i was told tonight that it is illegal to take a photograph in a bar
          i assumed that since a bar was a public place, that photos were legal
          am i right or wrong?
          PS, i live in louisiana by the way

          TAKING THE PHOTOGRAPH ISN'T THE DEAL IT IS WHERE AND WHAT YOU PRINT IT ON OR
          IN. THEN YOU PROBABLY HAVE TO HAVE SIGNED PERMISSION
          PAUL IN CCHICAGO