Re: [tips_and_tricks] Fw: Today's Legal News, March 28, 2003

  • Tom Kearse
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 8:41 PM
      You might ask "upon what authority"?

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "turbodog" <turbodog@...>
      To: <tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 4:14 AM
      Subject: Re: [tips_and_tricks] Fw: Today's Legal News, March 28, 2003

      > i have a legal question
      > i dont know if this is the correct forum, i appolgise if it is not
      > i was told tonight that it is illegal to take a photograph in a bar
      > i assumed that since a bar was a public place, that photos were legal
      > am i right or wrong?
      > PS, i live in louisiana by the way

      Victims
      > > of these scam artists may get some relief when New York's first
      predatory
      > > lending law takes effect, but the investment community is up in arms
      over
      > > the law's provision permitting borrowers to sue assignees.
      > > http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1048518201296
      > >

      > > What 'Gideon' Promised
      > > Legal Times
      > >
      > > The U.S. Supreme Court's landmark 1963 Gideon v. Wainwright decision,
      > > with its great promise of equal justice, showed the Court at its very
      > > best. Forty years later, however, the Court and Congress have faltered
      in
      > > committing fully to those principles of fairness and equality. It's time
      > > to make the promise of Gideon a reality, says Massachusetts Sen. Edward
      > > M. Kennedy.
      > > http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1048518196108
      > >

      > > This legal newswire is brought to you by law.com, a wholly-owned
      > > subsidiary of American Lawyer Media.
      > >
      > > To read the same newsletter on the Web, go to
      > > http://www.law.com/newswire/
      > >
      > > Questions? Comments? Complaints? Send us an e-mail at:
      > >
      > > By using law.com's Legal Newswire, you are agreeing to abide by our
      TERMS
      > > OF SERVICE. To read the terms of service, go to
      > > http://www.law.com/service/terms_conditions.html.
      > >
      > > To unsubscribe from the Legal Newswire, go to
      > > http://www2.law.com/registration/unsubscribe.asp?p=nw&f=text
      > >
      > > Law.com is registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
      > >
      > > Copyright 2003 ALM Properties, Inc. All rights reserved.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      ---
    • Daniel Quackenbush
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 9:05 PM
        Whoa Nellie, I don't know what the courts have ruled or what the statute's say in Louisiana, but in my opinion it *may* be a violation of the First Amendment for the government to prevent you from taking a picture inside a bar.  (It is wise to research this issue before you take pictures!)  However, the bar, being a private entity, may be able to lawfully prohibit you from taking pictures inside the bar.  I am curious, what would be the rationale for preventing picture taking inside a bar?
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 9:13 PM
          I think that if you are in a privately-owned
          establishment such as a bar, the owner is going to
          have the right to decide whether photography is
          allowed in there or not. If he says you can't do it
          in there, then that's that. It is not THAT public. I
          think "public" means like outdoors in some public
          place, street, park, etc. where people who are there
          cannot expect to have the same kind of privacy that
          they would have in their homes or their own property.
          I don't think that would mean that you have the right
          to use photos of people without their permission,
          unless it is the news and you are shooting the photos
          for a newspaper or something.

          Now I am not 100% sure about all this, it just seems
          like that is what I have heard on the subject. If you
          want to take a picture of somebody, the best thing to
          do is ask them first. Of course if you are a
          commercial photographer you are going to have them
          sign a "model release" which gives you permission.

          You might look at some photography web sites for more
          information on this.

          http://tax.yahoo.com
        • Advancepum@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 9:14 PM
            In a message dated 4/1/2003 10:19:03 PM Central Standard Time,
            turbodog@... writes:

            << i have a legal question
            i dont know if this is the correct forum, i appolgise if it is not
            i was told tonight that it is illegal to take a photograph in a bar
            i assumed that since a bar was a public place, that photos were legal
            am i right or wrong?
            PS, i live in louisiana by the way

            TAKING THE PHOTOGRAPH ISN'T THE DEAL IT IS WHERE AND WHAT YOU PRINT IT ON OR
            IN. THEN YOU PROBABLY HAVE TO HAVE SIGNED PERMISSION
            PAUL IN CCHICAGO