Collection problem

  • drbradb1
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 30, 2003
      Hello all,
      I want to get the groups take on a collection matter.The sum in
      dispute is 3600$Here are the facts.My wife called a truck rental
      agency and reserved a moving van for my son to use to
      move.She gave a credit card # to the person making the
      reservation over the phone in order to reserve the truck.During
      the course of the move the truck was damaged by hitting an
      overhead train trestle.The damage to the truck ,they claim is
      3600$.My son signed the contract,not my wife,my son purchased
      the insurance from the rental agency.My son claims he was told,
      at the time of rental ,the insurance covers any and all damages.I
      was not a witness to that remark.Scince my son is young and
      has a family and is just starting out in life he has no assets nor
      much of a credit record.I think the company is going after the
      deeper pockets.The rental company gave my wife 10 days to pay
      or the sum gets sent to a collection agency.My thought would be
      to ask the collection agency to verify the claimed debt.There is no
      signed contract by my wife.any other thoughts on the matter
      would be welcome.Thanks in advance.
      Brad
    • Advancepum@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
        In a message dated 4/1/2003 10:27:28 PM Central Standard Time,
        drbradb1@... writes:

[...]
        Brad If you can get them to set up payments I can show you how to make out a
        check as counter offer/contract payment in full.
        If you can set up your printer to do the job corectly they won't even notice
        that it's on the check. You print this on the front of the check in #8 type
        then on the back you print

        on the back you print. also in #8 type

        Please sign/endorse under this contract which has been read and is agreed to
        as the last agreement. This is payment in full to date
        X________________________________

        "Negotiating this instrument constitutes agreement to this counter
        offer/contract, which I/we have read which is entered into under the right to
        contract, with full knowledge of the negotiator of this instrument and is
        valid as the last agreement in spite of what may have been agreed to
        previously. This is payment in full"

        If you wish You can get in touch with me directly and I'll get you through it
        for whatever you can get them to set up the monthly payment.

        contact me at << advancepum@... >> I can maake it look like part of the
        origional check then you've got a contract that says it's paid. it WORKS
        Paul from Chicago
      • Tom Kearse
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
          They must proceed within the guidelines of the fair debt collection act,
          unless you "waive "same via silence. You need to stop them
          administratively, or potentially face them in court, with the record stacked
          against you.

          > I want to get the groups take on a collection matter.The sum in
          > dispute is 3600$Here are the facts.My wife called a truck rental
          > agency and reserved a moving van for my son to use to
          > move.She gave a credit card # to the person making the
          > reservation over the phone in order to reserve the truck.During
          > the course of the move the truck was damaged by hitting an
          > overhead train trestle.The damage to the truck ,they claim is
          > 3600$.My son signed the contract,not my wife,my son purchased
          > the insurance from the rental agency.My son claims he was told,
          > at the time of rental ,the insurance covers any and all damages.I
          > was not a witness to that remark.Scince my son is young and
          > has a family and is just starting out in life he has no assets nor
          > much of a credit record.I think the company is going after the
          > deeper pockets.The rental company gave my wife 10 days to pay
          > or the sum gets sent to a collection agency.My thought would be
          > to ask the collection agency to verify the claimed debt.There is no
          > signed contract by my wife.any other thoughts on the matter
          > would be welcome.Thanks in advance.
          > Brad

          ---
        • Tom Kearse
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
            Demand the contract making your wife liable.
            Your son might want to sue the agency for the amount in question for selling
            him insurance that didn't pay.
            > I want to get the groups take on a collection matter.The sum in
            > dispute is 3600$Here are the facts.My wife called a truck rental
            > agency and reserved a moving van for my son to use to
            > move.She gave a credit card # to the person making the
            > reservation over the phone in order to reserve the truck.During
            > the course of the move the truck was damaged by hitting an
            > overhead train trestle.The damage to the truck ,they claim is
            > 3600$.My son signed the contract,not my wife,my son purchased
            > the insurance from the rental agency.My son claims he was told,
            > at the time of rental ,the insurance covers any and all damages.I
            > was not a witness to that remark.Scince my son is young and
            > has a family and is just starting out in life he has no assets nor
            > much of a credit record.I think the company is going after the
            > deeper pockets.The rental company gave my wife 10 days to pay
            > or the sum gets sent to a collection agency.My thought would be
            > to ask the collection agency to verify the claimed debt.There is no
            > signed contract by my wife.any other thoughts on the matter
            > would be welcome.Thanks in advance.
            > Brad

            ---
          • Tim Kiley
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
              Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?

              Tm Kiley

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > ---

            • *
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                The collection agency must abide by the FDCPA and if you respond within
                thirty days (the letter they send is required to have the 30 day notice) to
                their letter, they must validate and I doubt they could validate the alleged
                debt.

                However, even if they send something as a validation, it is quite unlikely
                that anyone will ever face them in court as the collection agency, unless
                they have purchased the alleged debt, has not standing to bring suit. And
                even if you do not request a validation, I don't see how the record would be
                "stacked against you" as not requesting a validation does not, in any way,
                admit liability.

                Even if the rental company sues, I think the record is stacked against them
                as there is no contract for rental with that person. Her credit card was
                only given to guarantee the rental and not used to pay for the rental. When
                the truck was rented, the guarantee for renting it expired and a rental
                contract was entered into with the renter. If the rental company actually
                had a claim based on the guarantee of rental, they would have simply charged
                it to the card.

                There might even be a suit against the rental company for violations of the
                FCRA, plus a possible suit against the collection agency for violations of
                the FDCPA if they are not careful.

                Gary

                > I want to get the groups take on a collection matter.The sum in
                > dispute is 3600$Here are the facts.My wife called a truck rental
                > agency and reserved a moving van for my son to use to
                > move.She gave a credit card # to the person making the
                > reservation over the phone in order to reserve the truck.During
                > the course of the move the truck was damaged by hitting an
                > overhead train trestle.The damage to the truck ,they claim is
                > 3600$.My son signed the contract,not my wife,my son purchased
                > the insurance from the rental agency.My son claims he was told,
                > at the time of rental ,the insurance covers any and all damages.I
                > was not a witness to that remark.Scince my son is young and
                > has a family and is just starting out in life he has no assets nor
                > much of a credit record.I think the company is going after the
                > deeper pockets.The rental company gave my wife 10 days to pay
                > or the sum gets sent to a collection agency.My thought would be
                > to ask the collection agency to verify the claimed debt.There is no
                > signed contract by my wife.any other thoughts on the matter
                > would be welcome.Thanks in advance.
                > Brad

                ---

              • *
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                  The collection agency MIGHT purchase the debt, so do and some don't. I
                  don't think a collection agency purchasing the debt will "extinguish" the
                  debt. If they purchase it, they will try to collect it and may bring suit
                  for the collection, it's done every day.

                  There is a theory that only the original creditor has standing to sue but I
                  have not seen anyone present any evidence, case law or statutes that say
                  that.

                  Gary

                  Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?

                  Tm Kiley

                  > Demand the contract making your wife liable.
                  > Your son might want to sue the agency for the amount in question for
                  selling
                  > him insurance that didn't pay.

                • Edwin Clements
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                    I had the same kind of thing happen about 7 years ago.
                    I paid $70 extra for insurance and then the truck ran
                    into an over-covering in front of a hotel. It caused
                    some damage to the hotel over-covering and a small
                    dent, almost unnoticeable, on the roof of the truck.
                    I thought it was supposed to be covered by that
                    insurance that I paid $70 for and they tried to tell
                    me that it was "secondary insurance" meaning that my
                    car insurance policy should have taken care of it.
                    Well, I checked with my insurance agent before renting
                    the truck and he said that it would not cover a rental
                    truck and that was why I got the extra insurance in
                    the first place. So I wrote them back and told them
                    that I had been told that there was nothing else I
                    needed to do, and I never heard any more from them.
                    (I can't say that was the exact sequence of events, it
                    has been 7 years after all.) But I am sure that if I
                    had filed a claim on my car insurance they would have
                    raised my rates, so I think they were just trying to
                    rip me off. This was U-Haul that tried to do this.
                    I suggest you demand verification and I hope you
                    fight this. If they are going to sell this expensive
                    "insurance" and then try to make you pay for this,
                    then they are just trying to rip you off. It probably
                    would not be a bad idea, when renting these things, to
                    have a small tape recorder going when you ask the
                    rental guy "does this insurance cover everything?" and
                    he says "yes". Or witnesses.

                    http://tax.yahoo.com
                  • Bill Bauer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
                      Don't ever believe that if a collection agency purchases a debt that it will be
                      extingushed. Nothing on earth could be further from the truth and if you doubt
                      that then please be so kind as to give me a court case number wherein the judge
                      denied the collector the right to collect on a debt he had purchased.

                      Tim Kiley wrote:

                      > Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?
                      >
                      > Tm Kiley

                    • Brian Brooks
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
                        I go to court 5-1-03 for a judement with discover....what do i say

                        Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?

                        Tm Kiley

                        > Demand the contract making your wife liable.
                        > Your son might want to sue the agency for the amount in question for
                        selling
                        > him insurance that didn't pay.

                      • Tom Kearse
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                          is this in regards to the rental truck referenced below?
                          I go to court 5-1-03 for a judement with discover....what do i say

                          Won't a collection agency purchase the "debt" thus extinguishing it?

                          Tm Kiley

                          > Demand the contract making your wife liable.
                          > Your son might want to sue the agency for the amount in question for
                          selling
                          > him insurance that didn't pay.

                          ---
                        • Tim Kiley
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                            Get and study the Richard Cornforth materials... FAST!

                            Tim Kiley

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                              Cornforths matrials on void judgements are excellent, but one needs to know procedure first, and that is the only way to make a void judgement argument stick.
                              If i were in that situation, i would procedurally establish the validity (or lack thereof) of the judgement before court date.  Then you go into court and present the judge with the agreement of the parties, no controversy, no case.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                                The best advice I have to offer is don't go and don't argue with them. Let them get their judgment then once the judgment is memorialized go get copies of the paperwork in the judgment and look for ways to get it vacated on motion to vacate void judgment. Since there are at least 23 reasons why a judgment might be null and void upon it's face its not all that tough to get them vacated.

                                That's the way I go after them. Works for me.