Merrill Jenkins' Money (book)

  • cshrclrd
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2006
      Found this description at Pat Shannan's website:

      http://www.patshannan.com/booksproducts.html

      (Another must read is "Miracle on Mainstreet", by Tupper Saussy.)

      "Money" in the United States is: Make-believe "Dollars"; paper and
      ink records of numbers preceded by a dollar sign ($) in bookkeepin
      entries, accepted by the people as imaginary mediums of exchange,
      whose volume increases daily with official and individual
      conjurings; are seignioragge, credit, inflation, money, and totally
      intangible, cannot be sighted, heard, smelled, tasted, or touched,
      can exist in human thought only, and are shifted about by check and
      credit card to "settle by imagination" ninety five percent of all
      indebtedness.

      An Eyewitness To Counterfeiting

      In every nation in the history of the world, has it not always ended
      up a war between the ruling class and the people? The king wants
      more and more, and the people continually settle for less and less.
      In 20th century America, the bureaucracy reversed the roles of
      master and servant by absconding with the wealth -- lawful money --
      and silently became that ruling class. The currency switch was one
      chimerical sleight-of-hand, the installation of slug coins another
      which was not so easy. Here is how it was done.

      In late 1959, National Rejectors of St. Louis, Missouri -- the
      manufacturer of ninety-seven per cent of the coin acceptance devices
      in the United States -- received an unannounced visit from several
      agents of the U.S. Treasury Department officiously flashing their
      badges and credentials. The company's top inventor-designer was a
      brilliant New Yorker from Brooklyn by the name of Merrill Jenkins.
      The officers desired an interview with Mr. Jenkins regarding a
      subject that was normally kept under tight corporate security.

      "What techniques," the government agents asked him, "might a
      counterfeiter use to deceive state-of-the-art coin acceptance
      machines?" Believing that he was helping to protect the interests of
      the United States Treasury and, therewith, the American people,
      Jenkins revealed over the course of the interview that the
      counterfeiter who could manufacture a copper slug sandwiched between
      two faces of nickel would have himself a coin costing between one
      and two cents (depending upon its size). The mechanical acceptors
      would then mistakenly read the coin as being made of the silver the
      machines were designed to receive.

      "But don't worry about it," Jenkins assured the officials. "We are
      talking about a complicated process. Only a very sophisticated
      syndicate with unlimited resources could turn out these coins in
      quantity." Little did he realize that he was revealing secrets of
      national security to that very syndicate, the actual one with its
      eye on discovering the method of creating unlimited resources. "The
      counterfeiter the Treasury was pretending to guard against," he
      later constantly told lecture audiences for the rest of his
      life, "was the Treasury Department itself."

      When the Coinage Act of 1965 began turning those coins out in dime,
      quarter, half-dollar, and dollar denominations, the middle-aged
      inventor was shocked. Merrill Jenkins felt his confidence had been
      betrayed. Eventually, he quit the firm and began exploring the
      historical relationship of governments to money, and he spent the
      rest of his life writing books and speaking publicly in an attempt
      to help ordinary mortals comprehend the gravity of the situation.
      Strange to him at the time, no major publishing house would touch
      his writings, and he had to self-publish each piece as he could
      afford it. After his death in 1979, a handful of followers picked up
      his torch.

      At the time of Mr. Jenkin's death, America had endured more than a
      decade of the infusion of fiat money. Both the coins and currency in
      circulation were irredeemable in gold or silver for the first time
      since the "Not worth a Continental" days of the 1780s. Predictably,
      the once great nation had plunged itself into the very kind of
      economic chaos the Constitution had been written to cure and
      prevent. Inflation began to creep like never before in their
      lifetimes, but the people swallowed all the economic propaganda
      without question.

      For years we have been warned by those who have been there: "Don't
      try to explain the money issue to a jury. They just can't get it in
      one short lesson." Agreed. But if the "Paper Money" scheme seems
      tough to sort out, believe it that the coinage fraud is even
      tougher.

      Merrill Jenkins understood it better than anyone. After all, he
      lived the deception first hand. From his masterpiece, Money – The
      Greatest Hoax on Earth, from which there is an education on every
      page, we glean a tidbit:

      "If it were possible to educate the people, and if it were possible
      to go back to wealth media, the extraction of wealth would cease and
      our nation would resume its progress toward ever greater individual
      standards of living. That is why they outlawed gold and silver
      coins. This was our wealth media. That is why they melted our silver
      coins and sold our silver at auction. They don't want us to use
      wealth media. If we use our wealth media, we own our wealth and the
      elected officials become servants of the people. The public would
      regain the power to direct the policies of their government."
      Merrill Jenkins' works are a "must" for the bookshelf of any
      monetary realist.