false arrest

  • Karl-Alan
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 2003
      Now this is making more and more sense. Maybe this is why the courts do their darnedest to convict so you don't have the ability to file a complaint against the prosecutor.

      What is your opinion?

      Clyde Hyde explains:

      No, I don't have a decision on that case but it was a Washington Supreme court Case in the late 90s and the alleged crime was in Western Washington.

      The case was were a man was contracted to do some computer work for a church.  During the course of his work the place was invaded by thieves and of course his finger prints were there, so they assumed he did it.  Since there were no eye witnesses, the prosecutor made the complaint against the man.  The man was found not guilty as there really was no evidence against him and all circumstantial.  He sued the prosecutor and won, because the court said that when the prosecutor makes the complaint, he does so in his own capacity as a citizen and he has no first hand information.  Most of them get away with it, and do it because if they didn't, they wouldn't have a lot of business and this is big business for the courts and keep them in the money flow.

      If you look in your court rules book, there is usually a caution that has to be given to anyone filing a complaint, and that is that they can be civilly sued if the complaint backfires on them.
    • John Wilde
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13, 2003
        Here is a case from Supremes that distinguishes between a "prosecutorial function" and "non-prosecuitorial" function and the resulting liability if the function is "non-prosecutorial" and it results in the violation of rights.

            The case is Kalina v. Fletcher, decided in December 1997.

        g'day
        John Wilde

        Karl-Alan wrote:

[...]

      • Wilbur Streett
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13, 2003
          The case is Kalina v. Fletcher, decided in December 1997.

          The state, district, circuit, etc.. is needed in order to find the case..

          Wilbur

          Putting A Human Face On Technology ;-)
          Literally! http://www.TheFaceOf.com
        • John Wilde
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2003
            Oh yea, one other thing. I provided the direct link. Click on the "blue"
            Kalina v. Fletcher" and it will take you to the case.

            g'day
            John Wilde

            Wilbur Streett wrote:

            > The case is Kalina v. Fletcher, decided in December 1997.
            > >>>>>>>

            > The state, district, circuit, etc.. is needed in order to find the case..
            >
            > Wilbur

          • Utlage
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003

              Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 8:34 AM