Re: is S.S. voluntary? Annotated Constitution and case state "mandatory"

  • Kari
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2006
      --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <jazzstock67@...> wrote:
      1986 U.S. LEXIS 107,*;477 U.S. 41;
      106 S. Ct. 2390;91 L. Ed. 2d 35

      BOWEN, SECRETARY OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES, ET AL. v. PUBLIC AGENCIES
      OPPOSED TO SOCIAL SECURITY ENTRAPMENT ET AL.

      No. 85-521

      SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES

      477 U.S. 41;106 S. Ct. 2390;91 L. Ed. 2d 35;1986 U.S. LEXIS 107;54
      U.S.L.W. 4699

      April 28, 1986, Argued

      June 19, 1986, Decided

      PRIOR HISTORY: [*1]

      APPEAL FROM THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF
      CALIFORNIA.

      I went to the SSA website and found the following at:
      http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10023.html

      "Must my child have a Social Security number?

      No. Getting a Social Security number for your newborn is voluntary.
      But, it is a good idea to get a number when your child is born. You
      can apply for a Social Security number for your baby when you apply
      for your baby's birth certificate. The state agency that issues
      birth
      certificates will share your child's information with us and we will
      mail the Social Security card to you.

      If you wait to apply at a Social Security office, you must show us
      proof of your child's U.S. citizenship, age and identity, as well as
      proof of your own identity. We must verify your child's birth
      record,
      which can add up to 12 weeks to the time it takes to issue a card.
      verify a birth certificate, Social Security will contact the office
      that issued it. We do this verification to prevent people from using
      fraudulent birth records to obtain Social Security numbers to
      establish false identities."

      "Why Should I Get A Number For My Baby?

      If your child is born in the United States or is a U.S. citizen born
      abroad, you need a Social Security number to claim your child as a
      dependent on your income tax return. Your child may also need a
      number
      if you plan to:

      * Open a bank account for the child;
      * Buy savings bonds for the child; Obtain medical coverage for
      the
      child; or
      * Apply for government services for the child."

      (Mandatory) by law verses (No. Getting a Social Security number for
      your newborn is voluntary), are just a little to incompatible in my
      mind. My personal favorite, "it is a good idea to get a number when
      your child is born". Who doesn't Love a good idea?

      After reading the above right off of the SSA website and BOWEN,
      SECRETARY OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES, ET AL. v. PUBLIC AGENCIES
      OPPOSED TO SOCIAL SECURITY ENTRAPMENT ET AL No. 85-521
      SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES, It looks like someone is
      confused about Social Security being mandatory. Now it is either the
      Supreme Court or it's the Social Security Administration. Or maybe the
      Supreme Court just forgot to tell the Social Security Administration
      that applying for a Social Security Number is Mandatory not Voluntary.