person, persons, and people

  • Joy Metcalf
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2006
      Again and again I see the statement that "persons" is a made-up word signifying legal fictions, and that the proper plural for "person" is "people".  Let's put this finally to rest.  The word person is singular, and the word person is plural, and the word persons has been around from centuries.  A couple of days ago I read a quote from John Adams where he refers to "persons".  Sorry, I don't have the quote now because I lent the article to someone.  However, today, reading in the book of Job13: 8-10 in the KJV of the Old Testament, I found:
      8 Will ye accept his person?  will ye contend for God?
      9 Is it good that he should search you out?  or as one man mocketh another, do ye so mock him?
      10 He will surely reprove you, if ye do secretly accept persons.

      I decided to do a search and found no fewer than 46 references to "persons" in the Old and New Testaments.  Since this is the King James Version, the translation is several hundred years old.

      What about "people"?  People is often used in the singular, as "ye shall be one people" and the plural is "peoples", as "many peoples and nations, and tongues".  That use is found not only in the scriptures but in many other writings as well.  Do a search; you'll find many examples.

      That's not to say the words "person" and "persons" is not used artfully in law, but "persons" is not in and of itself a word created by lawyers and administrators specifically to deceive.

      Joy Metcalf   rosawoodsii@...

      Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.---Sir Winston Churchill

    • rhgusn@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 27, 2006
        Good point. The general hand-wringing about the word "person" relates to a fraudulent trick used to introduce the concept of corporations and other artificial entities being considered persons. The Supreme Court rendered a decision in a case in which the subject was involved. The court did not decide that corporations are persons, but a devious clerk who wrote up the opinion for publication wrote in the introduction to the case that corporations are persons. The concept was accepted even though the court did not so state in its opinion.