Fwd: Re: [tips_and_tricks] Re: Digest Number 1231

  • Darrell Berg
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006
      First, let me say that Pete Hendrickson has done a superb job of illuminating the tax law and
      providing citizens, such as myself, with the foundation necessary to embark on a difficult
      administrative journey. While it is true that some are receiving refund checks, others are
      receiving only empty form letters and we have not heard from those who, having received a refund
      check, are now being hounded by the IRS administratively for the return of those funds. Nor have
      we heard from those being sued by the US for the return of erroneous refunds.

      Pete's method relies on IRS Form 4852 to allegedly rebut the Form W-2 that IRS uses to calculate a
      tax liability. As you are aware, the W-2 shows amounts paid as "wages" and amounts "withheld" as
      tax at the source. As you are also aware, most Forms W-2 are erroneous in that they are made by
      entites that should not be making them. This arises as a result of the entities negligently
      applying the provisions of Subtitle C to the pay of their workers.( See Title 26 USC Sections
      3121,3401).

      We know from various Supreme Court Rulings(citations ommitted) that the income tax is a tax in the
      nature of an excise. That being true, the taxes contemplated in subtitle C arise not from earning
      an amount of money from a job, but, from one engaging in a revenue taxable activity. In this case,
      the taxable activity is the privelege of working for the government, a fact documented by the Form
      W-2 and the tax being measured by the amount of gross earnings as listed on the Form W-2.

      The essence ,then, of the legal presumption behind a Form W-2 is the nature of the transaction in
      that the form establishes the taxable nature of the activity and documents the amount of taxes
      applied as measured by the gross proceeds as listed on the form.

      The Form 4852 is clearly an administrative tool used by IRS to document erroneous information on
      Forms W-2, among others, and does not contemplate controversy beyond the factual nature of the
      amounts listed. That being so, the only factual controversy that can be settled by use of this
      form is one regarding the AMOUNT of those items listed thereon and not the NATURE of the
      transaction being measured for tax liability. I hope you can see that listing "zeros" for all
      amounts on the form does not address the NATURE of the alleged activity and therefore cannot
      possibly be used to rebut the underlying legal presumption of the form; the alleged taxable
      activity of working for the government.

      http://mail.yahoo.com