Re: [tips_and_tricks] Re: A Tip on Sovereignty

  • RotorRider
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2003

      Read below, maybe it will help answer about the pilot "license" issue.

      I'm unsure of the ramifications but it is not a license, it is a certificate.

      Decide what you want to fly. This is because FAA’s rules for getting a pilot’s certificate differ depending on the type of aircraft you fly. You can choose among airplanes, gyroplanes, helicopters, gliders, balloons, or airships. If you are interested in flying ultralight vehicles, you don’t need a pilot’s certificate.

      You should also think about what type of flying you want to do. There are several different types of pilot’s certificates, from student pilot all the way up to airline transport pilot. This web page describes the eligibility, training, experience, and testing requirements for the following types of pilot’s certificates:

      • Student Pilot
      • Recreational Pilot
      • Private Pilot

      Note that we use the term certificate, not license. Although practically similar, a license grants a permission, whereas a certificate shows that one has fulfilled certain requirements.

      The links at left answer the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) about getting started in flying. The information is based on FAA’s rules, but is in a simplified form. You can read our rules on pilot certification in Part 61 of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations.