Garnishment

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2006

      Does anyone know if a pay garnishment can follow you to another state?

      They would have to go through the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act that has been adopted in most states. They take the judgment from the state you are moving from along with an affidavit to a court in the state you move to. That court enforces the judgment under the laws in the state you move to.

      PHONE #s: 970-330-3883/720-203-5142 c.

      For mailing:  Excellence Unlimited, 2830 27th St. Ln. #B115, Greeley , CO  80634

      BEAR'S WEB PAGES:

      www.legal-research-video.com

      www.legalbears.com

      www.irslienthumper.com

      www.irs-armory.com

    • Greg Knapp
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2006
        Move to Texas and it can't follow, no garnishment of wages in Texas!

        At 07:02 PM 5/3/2006, you wrote:
        >Does anyone know if a pay garnishment can follow you to another state?
        >
        >They would have to go through the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign
        >Judgments Act that has been adopted in most states. They take the
      • Black Spatula
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2006
          Not true....
          My wages, earned in TX....were garnished by a Colorado court... There was nothing I could do to stop it.

        • PJZEIGLER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2006
            That is not true, my friend who lives in Texas is having his wages garnished as we speak.
            at the rate of 90%
          • Don Schwarz
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2006

              Full faith and credit.

              If you commit a crime, or you have been adjudicated
              in another state, that ruling of the court goes with
              you to every other state.

              At 07:02 PM 5/3/2006, you wrote:
              >Does anyone know if a pay garnishment can follow you to another state?
              >
              >They would have to go through the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign
              >Judgments Act that has been adopted in most states. They take the
            • Grubaugh, Ken
              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2006
                Message
                Texas law does not allow garnishment except for child support, but the law does not matter, because the IRS sends a letter
                to your company and the company steals your money for the IRS, making the law bogus, because the company will not
                follow it unless you sue them.

                At 07:02 PM 5/3/2006, you wrote:
                >Does anyone know if a pay garnishment can follow you to another state?
                >
                >They would have to go through the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign
                >Judgments Act that has been adopted in most states. They take the

              • citizzenkain
                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2006
                  OK here's another question. Can a state get a default judgement
                  against in court without serving you to appear and defend yourself in
                  court?

                  --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, Don Schwarz
                  <vigilespaladin@...> wrote:

                  > Full faith and credit.
                  >
                  > If you commit a crime, or you have been adjudicated
                  > in another state, that ruling of the court goes with
                  > you to every other state.

                • citizzenkain
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4, 2006
                    But first they have to find me ... i'm wondering how difficult that
                    would be for them??

                    <vigilespaladin@...> wrote:

                    > Full faith and credit.
                    >
                    > If you commit a crime, or you have been adjudicated
                    > in another state, that ruling of the court goes with
                    > you to every other state.

                  • Legalbear
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4, 2006

                      But first they have to find me ... i'm wondering how difficult that

                      would be for them??

                      How hard it would be for them would depend on how hard you make it for them. Get some private investigator books and learn how they would track you down and then avoid putting the information out there that they would use.

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4, 2006

                        OK here's another question.  Can a state get a default judgement

                        against in court without serving you to appear and defend yourself in

                        court?

                        That is the slim area you would be allowed to defend in. Without proper service the court entering judgment would not have jurisdiction. A judgment entered without jurisdiction is void. Once you prove that the judgment is void the foreign state could not enforce the judgment.

                        PHONE #s: 970-330-3883/720-203-5142 c.

                        For mailing:  Excellence Unlimited, 2830 27th St. Ln. #B115, Greeley , CO  80634

                        BEAR'S WEB PAGES:

                        www.legal-research-video.com

                        www.legalbears.com

                        www.irslienthumper.com

                        www.irs-armory.com

                      • gary
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 4, 2006
                          If there were no service under the rules for that state, it would indeed be a void judgment.  However, there is service and there is service.  The normal kind, where they come to your house is what is usually thought of, but there is also service by mail and service by publication.  In some states if they cannot find you to hand you the service, they are allowed to mail to your last known address and you are served even if you never got it.  Most states have a provision for service by publication when they can't find you (with the court's authorization) where they publish the service in the legal notices section of the local paper.  Even if you never saw the notice, they have legally acquired personal jurisdiction.  You can motion (usually within one year) to have the default set aside and this is where you must show a meritorious defense.

                          As for defending in the foreign state, it may not be easy to "prove" you were never served but it's worth a shot.

                          Gary