Garnishment

  • citizzenkain
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3 4:40 PM
      Does anyone know if a pay garnishment can follow you to another state?
    • Legalbear
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3 5:02 PM

        Does anyone know if a pay garnishment can follow you to another state?

        They would have to go through the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act that has been adopted in most states. They take the judgment from the state you are moving from along with an affidavit to a court in the state you move to. That court enforces the judgment under the laws in the state you move to.

        PHONE #s: 970-330-3883/720-203-5142 c.

        For mailing:  Excellence Unlimited, 2830 27th St. Ln. #B115, Greeley , CO  80634

        BEAR'S WEB PAGES:

        www.legal-research-video.com

        www.legalbears.com

        www.irslienthumper.com

        www.irs-armory.com

      • Greg Knapp
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3 8:23 PM
          Move to Texas and it can't follow, no garnishment of wages in Texas!

          At 07:02 PM 5/3/2006, you wrote:
          >Does anyone know if a pay garnishment can follow you to another state?
          >
          >They would have to go through the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign
          >Judgments Act that has been adopted in most states. They take the
        • Black Spatula
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3 9:16 PM
            Not true....
            My wages, earned in TX....were garnished by a Colorado court... There was nothing I could do to stop it.

          • PJZEIGLER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3 9:27 PM
              That is not true, my friend who lives in Texas is having his wages garnished as we speak.
              at the rate of 90%
            • Don Schwarz
              Message 6 of 12 , May 4 4:35 AM

                Full faith and credit.

                If you commit a crime, or you have been adjudicated
                in another state, that ruling of the court goes with
                you to every other state.

                At 07:02 PM 5/3/2006, you wrote:
                >Does anyone know if a pay garnishment can follow you to another state?
                >
                >They would have to go through the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign
                >Judgments Act that has been adopted in most states. They take the
              • Grubaugh, Ken
                Message 7 of 12 , May 4 6:48 AM
                  Message
                  Texas law does not allow garnishment except for child support, but the law does not matter, because the IRS sends a letter
                  to your company and the company steals your money for the IRS, making the law bogus, because the company will not
                  follow it unless you sue them.

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4 9:31 AM
                    OK here's another question. Can a state get a default judgement
                    against in court without serving you to appear and defend yourself in
                    court?

                    --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, Don Schwarz
                    <vigilespaladin@...> wrote:

                    > Full faith and credit.
                    >
                    > If you commit a crime, or you have been adjudicated
                    > in another state, that ruling of the court goes with
                    > you to every other state.

                  • citizzenkain
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4 9:32 AM
                      But first they have to find me ... i'm wondering how difficult that
                      would be for them??

                      <vigilespaladin@...> wrote:

                      > Full faith and credit.
                      >
                      > If you commit a crime, or you have been adjudicated
                      > in another state, that ruling of the court goes with
                      > you to every other state.

                    • Legalbear
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4 12:39 PM

                        But first they have to find me ... i'm wondering how difficult that

                        would be for them??

                        How hard it would be for them would depend on how hard you make it for them. Get some private investigator books and learn how they would track you down and then avoid putting the information out there that they would use.

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 4 12:41 PM

                          OK here's another question.  Can a state get a default judgement

                          against in court without serving you to appear and defend yourself in

                          court?

                          That is the slim area you would be allowed to defend in. Without proper service the court entering judgment would not have jurisdiction. A judgment entered without jurisdiction is void. Once you prove that the judgment is void the foreign state could not enforce the judgment.

                          PHONE #s: 970-330-3883/720-203-5142 c.

                          For mailing:  Excellence Unlimited, 2830 27th St. Ln. #B115, Greeley , CO  80634

                          BEAR'S WEB PAGES:

                          www.legal-research-video.com

                          www.legalbears.com

                          www.irslienthumper.com

                          www.irs-armory.com

                        • gary
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 4 6:25 PM
                            If there were no service under the rules for that state, it would indeed be a void judgment.  However, there is service and there is service.  The normal kind, where they come to your house is what is usually thought of, but there is also service by mail and service by publication.  In some states if they cannot find you to hand you the service, they are allowed to mail to your last known address and you are served even if you never got it.  Most states have a provision for service by publication when they can't find you (with the court's authorization) where they publish the service in the legal notices section of the local paper.  Even if you never saw the notice, they have legally acquired personal jurisdiction.  You can motion (usually within one year) to have the default set aside and this is where you must show a meritorious defense.

                            As for defending in the foreign state, it may not be easy to "prove" you were never served but it's worth a shot.

                            Gary