Re: [tips_and_tricks] affidavit of Meritorious defense

  • gary
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2006
      Hi Lenny,

      Sorry to hear that the judge has decided that in his court he doesn't need to have acquired personal jurisdiction by a proper service as required by the rules.  You might be able to win that on appeal, but the trouble is that even if you get the judgment set aside (as you should be able to do) they will just serve you and you will then need a defense.  I can tell you it is a very difficult thing in a credit card case against the original creditor, but you have a much better chance against an alleged purchaser of the alleged debt.

      One of the things I have seen lacking in almost all cases concerning purchasers of defaulted debt is any proof they ever purchased the rights to collect the alleged debt.  An internally generated computer printout or copies of your credit card bills are not evidence they purchased the debt.  They usually just claim they purchased it and the defendant fails to object.  Also, alleged copies of the credit card bills without someone with personal knowledge to verify they are real and correct should be objected to as hearsay and anything the attorney says concerning anything he/she doesn't have personal knowledge of should be objected to as hearsay.  This includes things like them saying this is your account or that Great Seneca purchased the debt, the attorney has no personal knowledge that any of that is true.

      Actually, it looks like the judge in your case intends to deny your motion anyway, but you could always file an affidavitt that says you don't believe this is your account and that you requested proof several times that it was your account and they ignored your requests. When the judge denies your motion you can appeal.

      Gary