employer's use of SSN -- suing

  • cgr_lightsplash108
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2006
      Is there some reader who has personally been able to work without
      the SSN--who has successfully been able to 'get around' the "employer-
      required" use of the SSN ?? If yes!---then, HOW did you do it??
      In reading through the posts, there frequently are mentions of "sue
      the person" (as in an employer requiring the SSN)... being a 'newbie'--
      isn't this expensive? doesn't one then become entangled with the
      govt, and 'potentially exposed'?? is it really so 'easy' to sue a
      company, or an individual??
    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26, 2006

        WHAT "employer required" use of the SSN?

        I find that hard to believe since according to the SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION (SSA), OBTAINING a SSN is OPTIONAL.

        THE PAPERWORK/PRIVACY ACT AND YOUR APPLICATION

        The Privacy Act of 1974 requires us to give each person the following notice when applying for a Social Security number.

        Sections 205(c) and 702 of the Social Security Act allow us to collect the facts we ask for on this form.

        We use the facts you provide on this form to assign you a Social Security number and to issue you a Social Security card. You do not have to give us these facts, however, without them we cannot issue you a Social Security number or a card.

        http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

        If anyone is aware of ANY LAW that REQUIRES a so-called "employer" to get a SSN from an alleged "employee" perhaps they could post it so were can see WHO it APPLIES to and under WHAT CONDITIONS it APPLIES.

        Patrick in California

        "Half a truth is often a great lie"--Benjamin Franklin