Attorney for CC company sent a letter with wrong address, what now?

  • kaptnjack
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2006
      Long story but I lost my ass in a business deal in 2000. This is not
      debt created out of foolish consumerism, bad management, poor
      money/credit skills etc. Credit was used for development; operation and
      management of a business enterprise and an attempt perpetuate its
      existence. Since then...it has gone on to make well over 100
      million...unfortunately without me.

      There were fatalities, which included several CC companies. Fleet was
      one of them. I have not...and could not in good conscience...file
      bankruptcy. I have been "evasive and non-responsive" as an alternative
      but this is the first time that a local/in-state attorney has pursued
      me for a CC debt.

      A letter was deposited in my box a couple of weeks ago with my name on
      it but to a different address. I have lived here 30 years so the mail
      carrier knows me by name and simply delivered it....wrong address and
      all.

      The letter is from a local attorney ...Buffaloe & Assoc., stated to be
      representing Fleet, and is requesting payment in full or recommends to
      client that suit be filed.

      I realize that Bank of America bought Fleet some time back.

      I know Buffaloe has a rep for aggressive behavior....they attempted a
      foreclosure on me four years ago and collected about $5000.

      A friend of mine...an estate attorney in FLA...suggested I send the
      letter back saying "not at this address". But, that would indicate
      that "someone" opened the letter in order to respond.

      I have a few days left to respond....or should I?

      Should I :

      respond....not at this address (which is true) street number is wrong.

      respond with full letter requiring verification and demand for
      validation etc as suggested here on this forum from time to time and in
      the files section (please suggest appropriate file)

      or

      not respond....as plausible deniability of receipt of claim/notice.
      this of course could manifest a summons but the address might be a
      consideration.

      This one has me confused on how best to "handle it". Any advice or
      insights are appreciated; I have to do something in the next couple of
      days if a response is warranted/advised.

      Thanks for everyone's continued dedication to the topics discussed here
      and thanks to Bear too. I read daily and the posts are informative and
      encouraging.