Re: [tips_and_tricks] Social Security Benefits:

  • Email41@aol.com
    Message 1 of 54 , Apr 2, 2006
      On a lesser issue, the material published by the SSA states that after 40 quarters of contributions you are vested in the SSA program. If I am totally vested after 40 quarters, why do I still need to make contributions through my employer? I have always asked and never recieved an answer.
      Message 54 of 54 , May 27, 2006
        On May 2, 2006, at 4:23 PM, Grant Innes wrote:

        > The problem is that a certificate may be needed by the child in the
        > future, for example, getting a passport.

        Why would one "need" a passport, as opposed to just desiring the
        convenience it may afford? Most countries have provisions for
        accepting foreigners without them having a passport. A passport just
        means that the current US regime will vouch for you to a foreign
        government. People who are not foreign to that particular government
        can do the same thing. The USA may be respected somewhere still, but
        usually a country respects its own citizens more. With most countries,
        an invitation to visit from one of their nationals, plus that person's
        agreement to be responsible for you while you are there, is enough.