RE: [tips_and_tricks] Social Security Benefits:

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 31, 2006
      The form says in part:

      "This is a request to cancel your application. If it is approved, the decision we made on your application will have no legal effect,..."

      What does that mean? It means that any legal determination made by the SS Department pursuant to your application will have no legal effect. It does not say which application and therefore must include all applications, including the original. If you think they did anything pertaining to legal determinations on your behalf, including but not limited to receipt of benefits, it no longer has an effect. In other words, if they made a determination that you were a slaee based on the original application, then it is now null and void.

      The SS Department issues a SSA L-250 upon sussesful processing of the SSA-521. You must request the document.

      Bob

      Message 54 of 54 , May 27, 2006
        On May 2, 2006, at 4:23 PM, Grant Innes wrote:

        > The problem is that a certificate may be needed by the child in the
        > future, for example, getting a passport.

        Why would one "need" a passport, as opposed to just desiring the
        convenience it may afford? Most countries have provisions for
        accepting foreigners without them having a passport. A passport just
        means that the current US regime will vouch for you to a foreign
        government. People who are not foreign to that particular government
        can do the same thing. The USA may be respected somewhere still, but
        usually a country respects its own citizens more. With most countries,
        an invitation to visit from one of their nationals, plus that person's
        agreement to be responsible for you while you are there, is enough.