If someone gave you a gift are you legally bound to return it when asked?

  • vic4194
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2006
      A man I had been dating bought some household items for my family
      during a time of crisis in mine and my children's lives. But since
      I have refused to marry him, he tells me that he is not about to
      continue to make the payments on the furnture because have I refused
      to marry him. I'm a single mom with four kids and we need these
      things now just as much as we did then. I told him in the beginning
      that I would never be able to repay him or even help financially in
      any way to pay for these things and he understood that and wanted
      to "Help" us saying "God had laid it on his heart to provide these
      things for us and wanted to use him to bless us." Okay, so maybe I
      was a bit too Naive and trusting, but I believed him and gratefully
      accepted the gifts. Now however, he is calling me to arrange for
      the furniture company to come into my home and pick these things up,
      which will then put my children and I right back into yet another
      crisis situation. I wish that I could afford to help pay for these
      things, but I just don't have the money to do that just as I could
      not afford it to begin with as I told him so, I still cannot afford
      to do it now. It takes all I have just to support my children and
      myself. Accepting furniture in exchange for marriage was never an
      option or discussion between us. I know what the moral issues are
      here, but what about my legal obligations? So my question is: do I
      have to give the furniture that he is financing back to him or the
      store? It also might be helpful to know that he gave me a letter
      stating that he was purchasing it for us and that he did/does not
      hold me liable for the payments and that he would continue to make
      the payments on these things. Please help me with this. I'm not
      trying to be difficult, but this presents a real problem for me yet
      I still want to do what is right in the eyes of the law. It might
      be helpful to know that I live in Texas.
    • Greg Knapp
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
        You should continue to help this man in his desire to do the work of the Lord, and use these things as was intended. You certainly have no obligation to aid the collection/repossession attempts by the furniture company or to assits him in any way, assuming that all is as you describe. If the repo man comes, just don't open the door! And shame on this man!

        At 03:17 AM 2/27/2006, you wrote:

        "..."G-d had laid it on his heart to provide these
        things for us and wanted to use him to bless us." ...

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Gregory Knapp, ABR :-$
        Artistic Real Estate Group
        Senior Fellow, International FreedomFoundation
        info@...
        Office:            972-964-3500
        Toll Free:       888-456-6311  ext 123
        Cell:     972-333-4466
        Fax:               214-292-8877
        Get the best North Texas MLS info at www.gregoryknapp.com

      • danhanna@adelphia.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1 7:28 AM
          There is a meeting in denver at Kipling and I 70 where a bunch of patriots meet on Mondays at 1 pm at Furrs Restaurant just in the back in the dining room...good exchange of info and lots of ideas... worth a peek