Re: [tips_and_tricks] What is a safe way to buy real estate if you have the cash?

  • Jeff Sedgwick
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2006
      I have always found it best to have the seller put the property into
      an Illinois Land Trust (perfected by Chicago Title) then transfer the
      beneficial interest to you.

      The trustee holds both legal and equatable title so you have to
      choose your trustee well. Also, you can name several substitute
      trustees within the deed into trust so if need be they can be
      substituted in case of death, or some other problem with the
      originally named trustee.

      One feature about this type of trust is that the trustee holds both
      legal and equatable title. All the other trusts have the title split
      between the Trustee and the Beneficiary. Another feature is that the
      title is registered in the name of the Trustee and not a beneficiary
      so that no one knows, on the record, who the beneficiary(s) is/are.

      The down side, as mentioned above, is that since the Trustee holds
      both legal and equatable title, he can sell the property out of the
      trust without your knowledge. Again, pick your trustee well.

      Just a thought.

      Jeff

      ___ Thank you for your message at 04:45 PM 2/24/06, fastmuscleman.
      Your message was: