IRS removes article number sticker from return receipt

  • Kelly Roe
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 16, 2006
      Pass this on far and wide.  My advise DO NOT use the sticker that comes with the new Certified Mail certificates that you peel off and put on the return receipt request, hand write the number on the return receipt request.  On my FOIA requests to Thomas Marusin, Director of the Office of Disclosure in Washington were returned WITHOUT the certified mail number sticker....  This is a first, but I'm sure won't be the last.
    • russell340
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 16, 2006
        Please don't jump to conclusions. When they first came out I use the
        peel off but soon found out that the glue that is used will not hold
        in on the green card any length of time. Naturely I stop using the
        peel off and ALWAYS wrote in the number.

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 17, 2006
          I am jumping because the labels that were removed ALL came from the same
          office. They were 3 separate FOIA requests which were all signed for by the
          same person on the same day... I have never had another label removed at
          any other time, ever.

          > Please don't jump to conclusions. When they first came out I use the
          > peel off but soon found out that the glue that is used will not hold
          > in on the green card any length of time. Naturely I stop using the
          > peel off and ALWAYS wrote in the number.

        • DeWayne Flint
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 17, 2006

            I solved that problem by putting scotch tape over the label before mailing. DF.

          • rshe999680@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 17, 2006
              I sent communications to: the secretary of the treasury, us dept of "injustice", and mark everson, commissioner of the irs, in January.
              All return receipt cards came back with the number strip removed-IT'S TRUE! so write the number on the return card from now on!
              RBS
            • Ken Norbury

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 17, 2006
                  In a message dated 2/17/2006 6:40:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, dflint@... writes:

                  I solved that problem by putting scotch tape over the label before mailing. DF.

                  Scotch tape would be good if the problem was the "stick" on the number lables-it IS NOT-the "gov guys" are removing the lables-I think the message I posted before about three communications proves this-or maybe it is just a big "accident!" NOT! WRITE THE NUMBER ON THE RETURN RECEIPT CARD!
                  (If they did this to YOU-maybe you sent some good stuff!!)
                  RBS
                • FRANCES MEHNER
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 18, 2006
                    I agree. But we did have one that looked like the strip had been peeled off. I write the number on the green card, put the strip over it and a strip of tape over that. Then I don't worry if they pull the strip off.

                    russell340 <rtm@...> wrote: Please don't jump to conclusions. When they first came out I use the
                    peel off but soon found out that the glue that is used will not hold
                    in on the green card any length of time. Naturely I stop using the
                    peel off and ALWAYS wrote in the number.
                  • artsybill
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 18, 2006
                      wrote:

                      > Pass this on far and wide. My advise DO NOT use the sticker that
                      comes with the new Certified Mail certificates that you peel off and
                      put on the return receipt request,

                      Q: Why would anyone spend the extra $$ to get return receipt? IRS
                      signature is illegible anyways. Why not just print out the delivery
                      info that appears on USPS website several days after delivery & keep
                      it in your files. Surely that printout would be accepted as
                      verification of delivery. If mailing was really, really important, you
                      can send a FOIA to USPS to get verification of delivery, but that is
                      seldom necessary. Just be sure to always include the Cert Mail # on
                      the doc or letter that you are mailing.
                      Diane
                    • M&M
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 18, 2006
                        Same thing happened to us as well..................M&M
                        I sent communications to: the secretary of the treasury, us dept of "injustice", and mark everson, commissioner of the irs, in January.
                        All return receipt cards came back with the number strip removed-IT'S TRUE! so write the number on the return card from now on!
                        RBS
                      • pd
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 19, 2006
                          I would think that it would be a good idea to file complaints with the United States Post Office Inspector General concerning this issue.  While this may not be effective against the IRS per se, it will provide a permanent legal record to historically document what happened should you need it at a later date.  pd

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 19, 2006
                            Well, considering the amount of interest in this thread, I thought you might get a laugh out of MY experience!
                            We had to send some stuff to the IRS AND to a local civil court, by a certain date.  In order to make SURE they received it by that date, we sent both via certified return-receipt mail. ( Prior to this, we had sent several such letters to the IRS and got back the green card with NO date, and NO signature.)
                            Both of the cards were returned to us with NO signature and NO date.
                            I decided to make an ISSUE of this, and went to the local PO to complain.  They told me that THEY had nothing to do with the returned cards, I'd have to contact the STATE postmaster, so we did. HE send it back saying it was not HIS problem, either - to take it up with the Postmaster General in Washington, D.C.
                            So we did. We sent along, copies of 5 green cards to the IRS with NO date received and NO signature. We got back a three page letter, single spaced, to the effect that it was not THEIR problem - they "got so much certified mail for the IRS that they put it all in sacks and deliver it to the IRS and THEY were supposed to sign and date them", and that a refund for costs on the 5 copies I sent, was enclosed. NOTHING was enclosed.
                            But that is not the ISSUE.
                            The POST OFFICE sells these cards with the PURPOSE of my having a signed, dated receipt. I did not PAY the IRS to do that, it says right on the green card that THAT is what you are paying for. I felt then, and still feel that THIS IS FRAUD! When I pay for that card, I feel the POST OFFICE has an obligation to perform the DUTY = a SIGNED and DATED return!
                            They never even addressed the one that was sent to the court.
                            We were embroiled in a number of other, bigger problems at the time, but I wish we had been able to make a bigger stink, over this blatant failure of the Post Office to do their duty.
                            So - PAYING for a return receipt is no guarantee that you will get one back signed and dated. But I would NEVER use any pre-printed lable or address that THEY send.  There is a reason they send it, and if I can make it more complicated and difficult for them - in any way - I will. You just never know when one of their DOLTS will foul it up beyond repair!

                          • Advancepum@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 19, 2006
                              I agree here but we can print the number on the card as previously stated here by someone else.
                              Paul

                            • Ric3073@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 19, 2006
                                For the really important stuff simply stop using certified mail and switch to registered and you will not have this problem anymore.
                              • Jah Red
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 19, 2006
                                  Looks like you have grounds for a case of fraud.

                                  From the DMM100 == Domestic Mail Manual 100

                                  Certified Mail™
                                  Provides proof of mailing at time of mailing and the date and time of
                                  delivery or attempted delivery. $2.30
                                  Return Receipt can be added to confirm delivery. $1.75 extra

                                  Registered Mail™
                                  Provides maximum security. Includes proof of mailing at time of
                                  mailing and the date and time of delivery or attempted delivery.
                                  Insurance can be added up to $25,000. Fee based on value of item.
                                  Starts at $7.50
                                  Return Receipt can be added to confirm delivery. $1.75 extra

                                  The Post Master General, lied to you, and he wasn't following his own
                                  manual.

                                  I Bring an action against him with the DMM100 as your evidence of
                                  fraud.

                                  By Law when you pay the fee you have contracted with the Postal
                                  service that will follow the Domestic Mail Manual.

                                  And if they are not doing it, being that the USPS is now a privately
                                  run company they can now brought into the rules of the DMM100, by
                                  bringing a legal action against them for not following their own
                                  manual.

                                  Or by not following their own manual they have induced you by fraud
                                  to uses their service when in fact thay don't follow it with the IRS.

                                  --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "joalaska" <joalaska@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Well, considering the amount of interest in this thread, I thought
                                  you might get a laugh out of MY experience!
                                  > We had to send some stuff to the IRS AND to a local civil court, by
                                  a certain date. In order to make SURE they received it by that date,
                                • Donald Jordan
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 19, 2006
                                    So glad to see that the problem is not isolated to my mailings. I have over 50 sent to various agencies last year that are not filled out properly or signed. I wrote a letter to the PO General and did not get a reply.
                                    We should all send complaints this week. Maybe a large # of complaints at once will get more notice than the sparatic individual.

                                    On 2/19/06, Advancepum@... <Advancepum@...> wrote:
                                    I agree here but we can print the number on the card as previously stated here by someone else.
                                    Paul

                                    In a message dated 2/19/2006 5:15:06 AM Pacific Standard Time, pd25252525@... writes:

                                    I would think that it would be a good idea to file complaints with the United States Post Office Inspector General concerning this issue.  While this may not be effective against the IRS per se, it will provide a permanent legal record to historically document what happened should you need it at a later date.  pd

                                    Government law Law

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  • Occupant Family
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 20, 2006
                                      Greetings all,

                                      We quit using the RRR Green card long ago!
                                      It appears the UCC sez: "If you sent it, they got it!"
                                      So we merely use the cheaper and simple "Certificate of Mailing"
                                      and do not worry about the same things!
                                      No problems with "proofs" as the post office stamps each one separately!
                                      No one in the IRS has even denied the post offices stamp authority!

                                      Deo volente,
                                      Jim for FISH

                                      It is not the things that we know to be true that hurt us...
                                      It is the things we know to be true THAT ARE NOT!