9001Re: [tips_and_tricks] Re [jim/gary]: congratulations and a question

  • gary
    Jul 26, 2005
      I think you read into 42 USC 408m something that isn't there.  You said,

       "When the guy at his desk asked for my SSN, I simply said, "Well... it's a felony to *require* it, so I'd prefer not to divulge it."
      This isn't exactly what 42 USC 408 says.  Section 408 (a)(8) says,

      " (8) discloses, uses, or compels the disclosure of the social
            security number of any person in violation of the laws of the
            United States;
          shall be guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be
          fined under title 18 or imprisoned for not more than five years, or
          both."

      Which "laws of the United States" would be violated if the bank required a SSN to open an account?

      You also said,

      "I know one can sue for $10,000 but have no way of knowing the methodology involved."

      How do you know this and what would be the basis of your complaint?

      Gary

      ----- Original Message ----- When the guy at his desk asked for my SSN, I simply said, "Well... it's a felony to *require* it, so I'd prefer not to divulge it."
      Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 10:07 AM
      Subject: [tips_and_tricks] Re [jim/gary]: congratulations and a question