6109US Presidential election to be cancelled

  • smokes1057
    Jul 13, 2004

      What had been merely a rumor has now become fact.

      The Bush administration has asked for legislation enabling it to
      postpone the November election as a result of a terror attack. While
      worded very carefully to suggest that an attack must take place for
      such a move; I do not see either of the below stories unequivocally
      state that, if granted, these powers might not also permit elections
      to be "postponed" on merely a well-publicized threat. Don't believe
      the press stories. Read the legislation when it is introduced to see
      what it says there. If that discretion is included then we are at the
      edge of an abyss more dangerous than anything we have ever faced.

      These powers, if enacted, will go to the Department of Homeland
      Security. DHS would also be the entity to decide when, or if,
      postponed elections would be held.

      Allowing suspension of the elections on just the threat of a terror
      attack would create a hole in the legislation big enough to drive an
      oil tanker, or an open dictatorship, through. Since the legislation
      has not been seen yet we do not know what it will say. Once
      introduced, the bill would then go into Senate and House Committees
      (Republican controlled) where the language could easily be modified to
      give discretionary power to the Administration. At that moment the
      Constitution would overtly cease to have any operational meaning at
      all. The separation of powers would vanish.

      Judging from the news stories tonight we will probably see the
      legislation introduced fairly quickly. From the instant it appears,
      this legislation must be tracked daily, even hourly, at

      Does any one of us doubt that if threatened or desperate, the
      administration would use those powers without hesitation?

      I ask those who read this to stop for a moment and consider what it
      would mean for all of us on this side of the fence if the Bush
      administration both acquired and used the power to suspend the
      election -- with or without an attack. What restraints would be left
      to prevent some of our worst-case scenarios from coming true? Why even
      maintain the illusion of democracy? All vestiges of accountability
      will have been removed.

      We should each evaluate our own situations accordingly. Hopefully most
      of us will see that we have no choice but to bond together more than
      ever before. To quote Ben Franklin: "We must all hang together or else
      we shall surely all hang separately."

      This is the moment at which it all becomes very, very real. Although
      there is strong Democratic Party opposition appearing with derisive
      statements from Rep. Jane Harman and Sen. Diane Feinstein, my initial
      assessment, after watching CNN, FOX and MS-NBC, is that the press is
      already "selling" us this legislation. Fortunately, early stories also
      report that the act would also require a constitutional amendment.

      However, with this Supreme Court we can be assured of nothing. Yet,
      knowing this, we can be sure that there will be many chances to fight
      and beat this travesty. There will be many places at which our skills
      and resources can function to create and implement a coordinated response.

      All the efforts put into 9/11 and into the anti-war movement will need
      to pale by comparison with the effort that must be put forth to
      prevent this legislation from passing. Every lesson learned about
      organizing; mobilizing; reporting; strategy; education; and
      influencing congress (if that's possible), needs to be remembered and
      applied now. There will be many tests to come.

      May whatever form of divinity each of us holds dear give us guidance,
      wisdom and strength as we consider this.

      For almost three years FTW, along with many other brave souls, has
      been saying that 9/11 was just the beginning. Tonight it seems that
      the next stage – whatever that will turn out be – is knocking tonight
      at everyone's door. Do not give up. Do not be afraid. If all this is
      true and comes to pass, then everything is as bad as we have been
      saying all this time. So we had that much of a head start, didn't we?

      We are not defenseless. The cause is not lost. There is always a sense
      of relief when a dreaded event finally arrives because – only in that
      moment – can anything be done about it.

      I don't usually quote Dianne Feinstein but she was right when she said
      that America holds elections in the middle of wars, earthquakes and
      disasters. No matter what, we must demand an election this November.
      Even the debates about which candidate is or isn't better, or whether
      one will or won't make a difference, are now moot.

      Stop. Catch your breaths. Steel your hearts and minds in preparation.
      Soon we're all going to find out what we're made of. If we do not have
      an election this November then the world we have been fighting to
      change until tonight will become only a "pleasant" memory compared to
      the world that will follow.

      Mike Ruppert

      The instruments of battle are valuable only if one knows how to use them.

      Eliminate Your Credit Card Debt

      If you must smoke, smoke for less.