19097TIGTA: Use Credit Reports to Locate Taxpayer's New Addresses

  • Legalbear
    Jan 3, 2013

      Found in a Treasury Inspector General audit report:

      Locator services could be used to find current addresses during correspondence examinations

      We believe that it is reasonable to assume that one technique taxpayers use to avoid meeting their Federal tax obligations is to change residences and not leave forwarding addresses. However, if they are using credit to make purchases, their personal information is recorded, maintained, and made available commercially by credit bureaus through locator services. Unlike the IRS Master File on which taxpayer addresses are not always current, the addresses in locator services are constantly updated. As a result, locator services are an important component of the IRS collection process and are routinely used and relied upon to find taxpayers and their assets in collecting delinquent taxes owed.

      Call me at: 720-675-7230

      On Skype: legalbear

      My blog: legalbearsblog.com