18125Re: IRS Substitute For Return authority

  • Patrick McKEE
    Dec 1, 2010

      Bob Gregory said that “ 26 CFR Part 31 deals only with Employment Taxes and Collection of Taxes at the Source.  It does not relate in any way to Income Tax considered in the ordinary sense.” I strongly DISAGREE.

      CHAPTER 24 is entitled COLLECTION OF INCOME TAX AT SOURCE ON WAGES.  It does NOT impose ANY TAX & the TAX required to be DEDUCTED & WITHHELD is for LIABILITY FOR INCOME TAX IMPOSED UNDER SUBTITLE A.

      The REGULATIONS for CHAPTER 24 are contained in 26 CFR Part 31 & 26 CFR 31.6001 specifically gives the DISTRICT DIRECTOR the AUTHORITY to give NOTICE to people & thereby REQUIRE them to “to make such returns, render such statements, or keep such specific records as will enable the district director” to make a DETIRMINATION whether or not they are “liable for any of the taxes to which the regulations in this part have application.”

      WHY would I care about the DEFINITIONS of “wages” & “employee” IF I am NOT an INDIVIDUAL for whom WITHHOLDING is REQUIRED since the WITHHOLDING provisions are for INCOME TAX LIABILITY?

      Patrick in California

      Founder, ALLIANCE for PEACE & PROSPERITY

      "It ain't what ya don't know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin' on ya is what ya knows for sure, that just ain't so." -- Uncle Remus

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic