17819Re: [tips_and_tricks] Return of property tax bills.

  • Jake
    Sep 3, 2010

         >  Additionally, just because something like property taxes have been around for awhile is meaningless.

      It most assuredly is not.  Who elected the legislatures which passed the laws establishing property taxes?  And who has elected them ever since?  If the voting public doesn't want the property tax, why haven't they done something about it - for 100 or more years?

      I'll answer the last question - because they prefer the "benefits" the taxes (supposedly) pay for.  As long as the voters believe (whether it's true or not) that their property tax $$$ go to pay for such things as the police dept., the fire dept., roads, schools, etc., they'll say we don't have a problem paying those taxes.  Oh, they'll gripe over the amount if it goes up, but they'd rather have those things provided by gov't. that they can't provide for themselves individually.

      ~ ~ ~