17620Re: IRS form 4598E put in files by member windandstone

  • windandthestone
    May 8, 2010
      --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "Pj" <smileygirlnow@...> wrote:

      > I am new to the group tryed to search by subject but that failed. I am interested in the noted form 4598 in the files. I understand about nonresident alien filings and had seen the 4598 on fam guardian (over a year ago) but when i searched the IRS site it seems the form is no longer available. Please inform me how we currently use this or why, I understand why we send NRA forms to Philadelphia would this be more or less a declaration of non resident alien status?
      > Thanks Dawn

      Hi Dawn :)
      Form 4598E is a form that the IRS uses internally -- was not one for the masses until someone was dealing with the IRS through an Advocate or an Agent.  The form would be filled out by one of these two, and then sent to the employer (probably with a cover letter attached) to complete.  This form has several boxes that can be checked, including one that indicates the filer is "not engaged in any trade or business with the federal government."

      It also has a box that states (if checked) that the filer is has "Worker status is "Nonresident alien", and NOT a "resident" (26 U.S.C. 7701(b)(1)(A) or "U.S. citizen" (26 CFR ยง1.1-1(c)) "

      Once the form is filled out, the IRS sends it to the employer, probably to see if there is a W-4 on file.  (All these years the IRS has killed people over that dam W-4.)  The employer will send it back with one or more reply boxes checked, and the IRS goes on from  there based on the info submitted by both parties.

      Yes, they have buried this form in the last 2 years.  I doubt they want us to know that a form says exactly what we are saying!!

      I have sent it in each year as my son's employer can't wrap their head around this,  UGGG.  And I doubt that the average reader at the IRS knows what it's for, as it didn't help for 2008.   I just keep sending it in so that he can get his SS and Medicare taxes back.  The IRS demands you hassle the employer for a long time before they will refund employment taxes.

      The form has been in the Files section for quite awhile :)  I forgot it was there, but here's a direct link to it.
      Melissa

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic