17349Little g is JEALOUS of BIG G

  • The Handyman
    Dec 8, 2009
      It just so happens that I am working on a divorce case settlement in New York using the money issue and in my research found the following admission:

      "At common law the courts of this State had no jurisdiction over matrimonial matters and, hence the power of the Supreme Court over such matters is derived solely by virtue of statutory grants of authority. (Langerman v. Langerman, 303 N. Y. 465, 470, supra.) * * *

      <http://www.versuslaw.com>; 291 N.Y.S.2d 123; 57 Misc. 2d 86

      At common law there was no license.

      Moderator/Bear: Although courts acknowledge and respect the General Assembly's authority to modify or abrogate common law, such changes will not be recognized unless they are clearly expressed. Vigil v. Franklin, 103 P.3d 322 (Colo. 2004). Therefore, absent clear legislative intent, the common law prevails in any conflict with statutory law. Bayer v. Crested Butte Mountain Resort, Inc., 960 P.2d 70 (Colo. 1998).
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic