16800Re: [tips_and_tricks] inalienable in original

  • BOB GREGORY
    Apr 3, 2009
      un·al·ien·a·ble
        (ŭn-āl'yə-nə-bəl, -ā'lē-ə-)  Pronunciation Key
      adj.  Not to be separated, given away, or taken away; inalienable: "All of them . . . claim unalienable dignity as individuals" (Garrison Keillor).

      Unalienable

      Un*al"ien*a*ble\, a. Inalienable; as, unalienable rights. --Swift. -- Un*al"ien*a*bly, adv.
      unalienable

      adjective
      incapable of being repudiated or transferred to another; "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights" [syn: inalienable] [ant: alienable

      Main Entry: un·alien·able
      Pronunciation: "&n-'Al-y&-n&-b&l, -'A-lE-&-
      Function: adjective
      : not alienable : INALIENABLE

      On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Don S. <vigilespaladin@...> wrote:

      INALIENABLE is used in the Declaration
      of Independence, and it is crossed out and
      a U is addended to "inalieanable".

      At 09:19 PM 3/31/09 -0500, you wrote:

      Are not INALIENABLE and UNALIENABLE synonyms?   Most dictionaries say they are.  Unalienable is what our forefathers used in the Declaration of Independence but it appears that most of today's English scholars say they have become  interchangeable? Does use of either have a different affect on the court room floor?  If so, enlighten me.

      .