16406local bar sues church

  • Jim Stiner
    Sep 28, 2008

      ---Can a congregation be liable for prayers answered?

       Local Bar Sues Local Church
       In a small Texas town, a new bar/tavern
      started construction of a building to house
      their business. The local Baptist church
      started a campaign to block the bar from
      opening, with petitions and prayers. Work
      progressed, however right up till the week
      before opening, when a lightning strike

       hit the bar and it burned to the ground.
      The church folks were rather smug in
       their outlook after that, until the bar owner
      sued the church on the grounds that the
      church was ultimately responsible for the
      demise of his building, either through direct
      or indirect actions or means.
       The church vehemently denied all responsibility

       or any connection to the buildings demise
      in its reply to the court.
      As the case made its way in to court, the
      judge looked over the paperwork. At the
      hearing he commented, 'I don't know how
      I'm going to decide this, but as it appears
      from the paperwork, we have a bar owner
      who believes in the power of prayer, and
      an entire church congregation that does not.