16368Re: [tips_and_tricks] Re: Slammed In Traffic Court

  • Baruch HaShem
    Aug 17, 2008

      Here is an example of what I am saying with regard to muni courts and traffic issues. (I received this today from another research fellow)

      The Bell case raises the question: “Georgia's Motor Vehicle Safety Responsibility Act, which provides that the motor vehicle registration and driver's license of an uninsured motorist involved in an accident shall be suspended unless he posts security for the amount of damages claimed by an aggrieved party and which excludes any consideration of fault or responsibility for the accident at a pre‑suspension hearing held violative of procedural due process.”

      However, it appears that the USSC is stating that the Superior Court is the proper place to determine if 14th Amendment violations to due process have occurred with regard to licensure and traffic.

      Bell v. Burson
      91 SCt 1586;402 US 535;29 LEd2d 90(1971).

      “We hold, then, that under Georgia 's present statutory scheme, before the State may deprive petitioner of his driver's license and vehicle registration it must provide a forum for the determination of the question whether there is a reasonable possibility of a judgment being rendered against him as a result of the accident. We deem it inappropriate in this case to do more than lay down this requirement. The alternative methods of compliance are several. Georgia may decide merely to include consideration of the question at the administrative

                  5. See, e.g., Fahey v. Mallonee, 332 U.S. 245, 67 S.Ct. 1552, 91 L.Ed. 2030 (1947); Ewing v. Mytinger & Casselberry, 339 U.S. 594, 70 S.Ct. 870, 94 L.Ed. 1088 (1950).

      [543]

      hearing now provided, or it may elect to postpone such a consideration to the de novo judicial proceedings in the Superior Court. Georgia may decide to withhold suspension until adjudication of an action for damages brought by the injured party. Indeed, Georgia may elect to abandon its present scheme completely and pursue one of the various alternatives in force in other States.6 Finally, Georgia may reject all of the above and devise an entirely new regulatory scheme. The area of choice is wide: we hold only that the failure of the present Georgia scheme to afford the petitioner a prior hearing on liability of the nature we have defined denied him procedural due process in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment.

    • Show all 46 messages in this topic