11234Re: [tips_and_tricks] Rebutting W-2s and 1099s

  • Circuitman
    Jun 2, 2006
      W2's are not sent directly to the IRS. As I understand the process, the company issuing the W2 for each "employee" sends all W2's at one time with a W3. The W3 is called "Transmittal of Wage and Tax Statements" and contains the signature of the company representative under a jurat, testifying to its accuracy. However, the W3 instructs the issuer to send them to the Social Security Administration, not to the IRS. The IRS most likely gets a computer transcript from SSA for all W2's, which would be why they can't produce the original. What SSA does with the original W2's and W3 is unknown, but they may destroy it after entering the data as the IRS does.

      When I requested all copies of W2's and 1099's from the IRS with form 4506T they sent transcripts of the W2's but a copy of the original 1099. It could be because there were no taxes withheld for the amount paid.

      Dan

      At 12:51 PM 6/2/2006 -0500, you wrote:
      I have a question.  How is the W-2 sent to the IRS?  In what format or what form is used to transmit the W-2 to the IRS?  Thanks

      Dan the CircuitMan

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This e-mail communication is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited, unless otherwise authorized herein. Access to this e-mail by any other person/entity is unauthorized.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic