In just a few days (July 2nd) the FHL will lift its trade hiatus and
allow off-season trades and team preparation to begin.
The Commish had this to say about his long overdue vacation...
"It was nice while it lasted, but I realize the game must go on.
After a long season of hockey I was never so glad to see the NHL
playoffs end although with the NHL Draft in the books and off-season
signings to begin very soon the FHL must begin to prepare for what I
anticipate will be the most competitive year in history... YEAR 8!"
At the FHL Off-season meetings held a few months ago several things
were discussed. Here is a short list & the concensus...
1. Expansion... Discussed a few options- #1 adding 2 teams to have 14
total teams. #2 adding upto 3 teams for 3 divisions of 5 & 15 total
teams. Members of the FHL at the meeting were open to this but their
was no definate agreement. Most agreed we need to get all the teams
currently in the league more involved and improve the core we already
have. For this reason we will put expansion on hold for this season
and discuss again at the draft to see where we want to go in the
2. Free-Agents/Waiver Draft... We will move our Waiver Draft up a
few sets to after SET 2 and from sets 3-6 allow teams to "claim" free
agents at a cost $5 (real money). This will allow a team to pick up
a player not on an FHL roster to fill a need on their team. If 2 or
more teams try to claim the same free agent priority will be given to
the team lower in the standings.
3. Statistics categories... Discussed adding a few stat categories
such as +/- for Defenseman, extra pts for GW Goals, etc. Decided to
keep it "simple" & stay with the current set-up.
4. League Fines... League fines will be handed out for non league
activity. Non answered "team to team" e-mails within a week will be
subject to a $2 league fine if 2 complaints are sent in to the
commish about a team. Obviously the commish will listen to reason...
for example "I was on holidays in Cuba for a week" Consider a non
answered e-mail within 5 days Null & VOID. Non answered "League" e-
mails will be subject to a $5 team fine. Moneys collected will go
into the league pot.
5. Team changes to look forward to in Year 8...
- The Richmond Hill Rage have announced they will be changing their
logo for the upcoming season.
- The Worcester Icecats have announced they will be relocating to
Cambridge with possible name & colour change.
- The Barrie Ice Dogs will be unveiling a new 3rd jersey in
recognition of their Superior Cup Title.
- Any other changes? Stay tuned- deadline for changes is August 1st!
6. Draft Day... MARK YOUR CALENDERS NOW! FHL Draft Day is Saturday,
I hope everyone is looking forward to what looks to be a great YEAR 8!