Rippers acquire D-man in Deal with Ice Dogs

  • barrie_icedogs
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2011
      In the first off-season deal the Rippers have acquired an experienced yet still young D-Man in Dion Phaneuf from the Orlando Ice Dogs.

      In exchange the Las Vegas Rippers have sent a 2nd Round pick to the Ice Dogs. The Second Round Pick is actually the #13 overall selection in the draft that the Rippers acquired from the Manitoba Moose for James VanReimsdyk.

      "We don't like the fact we had to move Phaneuf. At only 27 years of age he may just be hitting his prime. No question his best seasons were early on but he is still a huge player in this league. With his salary for next season at $15 he is not cheap and we needed to free up some cap room. Getting the 13th overall pick is a very nice asset" said Ice Dog GM Tim McConaghy.

      The Ice Dogs indicated that they are far from done in looking to move out a few of their experienced forwards in favour of a quality rookie or a younger player.