Niedermayer Hangs Up His Skates

  • Andrew Quibell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2010

      (CP) Innisfil

      The Innisfil Q-Crew were dealt a heavy blow this week when team leader and top defenceman Scott Niedermayer announced his retirement.

      Although it was known that the end was near when Niedermayer was acquired from the Barrie Ice Dogs for a 1st Round Draft Pick, it wasn't known that the timeline would be one very productive season.

      "We'd do that deal again in a heartbeat", said team owner/GM Andrew Quibell.  "Scott was instrumental in mentoring our young players with his leadership and we truly believed that with the combination of our drafted and acquired talent that a run to an FHL Championship was realistic.  We fell short, but that is in no way reflected in Niedermayer's play."

      The Innisfil Q-Crew now must make a decision over the next few days as free agency will begin.  Do they rely on veteran Sergei Gonchar and team mates Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski along with the emergence of young studs John Carlson and Erik Karlsson or do they make a splash in free agency?  The draft table is also an option, but few top end defence options will be available and the draft is better suited to acquiring depth options.

      "We're poised to add either a young star like Doughty, Green, Seabrook or Weber or a veteran workhorse like Pronger", said Quibell.

      Either way, exciting days are ahead in Innisfil.

      FHL scouts have noted the incredible depth in much needed goaltending that are all members of the Innisfil Q-Crew.  With Backstrom, Bernier, Niemi, Pavelec and Mason all signed, the Innisfil GM will certainly find some trading partners.

      Drop the puck!

      Andrew
      Q-Crew