Georgian Bay, Aurora make swap before waiver draft

  • Wayne F
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2009
      (BARRIE) -- The Blues are back at the goaltending well.
      After trading or releasing four goaltenders the day of this year's draft, the Georgian Bay Blues have dealt young defenceman Michael Del Zotto and forward Jamie Langenbrunner to the Aurora Hurricanes for goalie Jonathan Quick and the Hurricanes' pick in the upcoming waiver draft.
      Blues GM Wayne Frazer said moving Del Zotto was a difficult decision.
      "I'm sure the other GMs around the league will think I'm nuts," Frazer said. "But our team is playing too hard right now to have poor goaltending completely sink us. Michael will be fantastic for Aurora for a long time, but we think Quick has a long future ahead of him also."
      Despite dealing for perennial stalwart Evgeni Nabakov at the draft, the Blues have watched their goaltending falter as Vesa Toskala sank into the doghouse of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Frazer said the writing was on the wall in the second game of the year.
      "Vesa gives up one soft goal, the defence rolls over on him and Ron Wilson yanks him," Frazer said. "You know you'll never see the guy again, and even if they needed him, his confidence is shot. The Leafs handle goalies like Bill Buckner handles ground balls."
      Quick has emerged as the No. 1 netminder for Los Angeles this season, racking up nine wins and stabilizing a weakness the Kings have long looked to shore up.
      Meanwhile, Del Zotto -- the last player taken in this season's draft -- has been an offensive revelation, picking up four goals and 16 FHL points in 16 games this season. Langenbrunner has been as good as usual, and gives the Hurricanes another strong forward to add to their stable.
      The Blues will pick second and third in Friday's waiver draft. Frazer said he is undecided which direction he'll go, or whether he'll deal one or both of the picks.
      "Obviously we were looking at Ilya Bryzgalov to fill our goalie issues, but now that's not a priority for us," Frazer said. "There is a large pool of players out there that could help our club."
    • Andrew Quibell
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2009

        Two Words - - JONATHAN BERNIER

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2009
          One more word -- BUST

          --

          Wayne Frazer

          Owner, The IceBox Cards & Collectibles

          31 Commerce Park Drive, Unit A2

          Barrie, ON L4N 8X1

          (705) 812-3295

          www.hittheicebox.com

          eBay ID: hit_the_icebox

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2009
            TOSKALA?

            From: Andrew Quibell <innisfil_qcrew@ yahoo.ca>
            To: timsfantasyhockeyle ague@yahoogroups .com
            Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 5:24 PM

            Two Words - - JONATHAN BERNIER

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
              Well Wayne.. I have to say that Del Zotto may have been the pick of the draft! I was actually thinking he was a free agent and would be a good waiver pick. I am sure he will be a success for Jerry and the Hurricanes as well.