Playoff Format

  • sandford_storm
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hey guys playoffs are still a couple sets away.....is there any
      interest in trying the following.....

      We usually do a head to head battle but one other possible
      suggestion would be an elimination round robin.

      Here's how it would work:
      Top 8 teams would make the playoffs (as we do now). And the regular
      season would still mean something.
      We would play 1 week playoff sets (as we do now)
      but
      We would be playing everyone at the same time as we do in the
      regular season. After each playoff set points would be tabulated
      based on wins, losses and ties as is done in regular season sets
      After the completion of 3 sets the 4 Teams with the most points in
      the round would move on.....

      Bottom 4 would go onto the Consolation round...

      Round 2 of the playoffs would be the 4 top from round one and we
      would do the same thing again....
      each team would play 3 sets against each other for the entire round.
      This time the 2 teams with the most points would move on to the
      Superior Cup round.....
      Round 2 for Consolation would be the same...as Round 2 for
      Championchip side, with the 2 teams with the most points goin on to
      Round 3 to play for the Consolation Cup...

      As for the inferior cup,

      Same thing, 4 non playoff teams would be round robin in the 1st
      round, top 2 from there would play for the Inferior cup in the 2nd
      round of the playoffs....

      There would still be 9 playoff sets.

      Not sure if its too late to try this, but there has always been
      chatter about how one team would have beaten another team in round 1
      that they werent playing and how that team won its round and moved
      on blah blah blah.......

      This would eliminate this chatter for sure.....

      Even if we dont try it this year maybe we should run it along with
      our regular playoffs to see if there would be a difference in the
      ultimate winner....How would that be for stirring the pot if it
      wasnt the same team...hahaha

      Just a thought....

      Jim
    • Andrew Quibell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
        Jim et al,

        I like it.

        Andrew
        Q-Crew

        sandford_storm <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[...]

      • Kevin Hackett
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
          Interesting but obviously we'd have to wait til next year, as 25% of our teams do not regularly respond to emails.
          Maybe Jimmy or someone else could do a 'parallel run' during this season's playoffs, so we can compare it with the normal format's results, and vote in the offseason.

          Kevin Hackett
          Richmond Hill, ON
          khackett@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
            Another "classic Kevin commentary"......sad but true.
            The arrogant Americans got their just desserts today in the shoot out....are the Nords ownership in that 25% of teams?.....LOL.
            GO CANADA GO

            Andrew
            Q-Crew

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
              Hi Jimmy, this is indeed an interesting idea. Personally though I
              still like the one on one "Head to Head" playoffs just like the NHL
              set-up.

              It is always interesting this way to see who you will draw and upsets
              can happen easily. Like the Rage over the Ice Dogs (one I will never
              forget). In my opinion it is all about upsets that make the pool
              great and the current setup gives all teams (that make the top 8
              playoffs) a chance to win the cup.

              If you wish to run this format on the side to see how the results
              turn out that would be great. We can discuss again in the off-season
              and see what all the teams think. Keep the ideas coming.

              The commish

              --- In timsfantasyhockeyleague@yahoogroups.com, sandford_storm
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Hey guys playoffs are still a couple sets away.....is there any
              > interest in trying the following.....
              >
              > We usually do a head to head battle but one other possible
              > suggestion would be an elimination round robin.
              >
              > Here's how it would work:
              > Top 8 teams would make the playoffs (as we do now). And the
              regular
              > season would still mean something.
              > We would play 1 week playoff sets (as we do now)
              > but
              > We would be playing everyone at the same time as we do in the
              > regular season. After each playoff set points would be tabulated
              > based on wins, losses and ties as is done in regular season sets
              > After the completion of 3 sets the 4 Teams with the most points in
              > the round would move on.....
              >
              > Bottom 4 would go onto the Consolation round...
              >
              > Round 2 of the playoffs would be the 4 top from round one and we
              > would do the same thing again....
              > each team would play 3 sets against each other for the entire
              round.
              > This time the 2 teams with the most points would move on to the
              > Superior Cup round.....
              > Round 2 for Consolation would be the same...as Round 2 for
              > Championchip side, with the 2 teams with the most points goin on to
              > Round 3 to play for the Consolation Cup...
              >
              > As for the inferior cup,
              >
              > Same thing, 4 non playoff teams would be round robin in the 1st
              > round, top 2 from there would play for the Inferior cup in the 2nd
              > round of the playoffs....
              >
              > There would still be 9 playoff sets.
              >
              > Not sure if its too late to try this, but there has always been
              > chatter about how one team would have beaten another team in round
              1
              > that they werent playing and how that team won its round and moved
              > on blah blah blah.......
              >
              > This would eliminate this chatter for sure.....
              >
              > Even if we dont try it this year maybe we should run it along with
              > our regular playoffs to see if there would be a difference in the
              > ultimate winner....How would that be for stirring the pot if it
              > wasnt the same team...hahaha
              >
              > Just a thought....
              >
              > Jim

            • Doug & Heidi BEDFORD
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 10, 2007
                I like the idea of running it on the side just to see how it works.

                Good idea Jim