Waiver Draft

  • sandford_storm
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 6, 2006
      Commish et al.

      Just a couple comments on the Waiver Drafts for this year. My
      thinking is we should use 2 rounds per draft. Last year teams had the
      opportunity to pick up players with 1 waiver draft and 3 free agent
      drafts.....opportunity to pick up 7 players total. This helped a lot
      of teams be come more competitive and I know alot of those pick ups
      were protected prior to this years draft. I think the two round draft
      would help especially if a team has some major injury trouble or
      lacking in areas as it would allow them a little more options.

      I realize the commish has a lot on his plate, and if two waiver rounds
      would be too much I would gladly be the waiver draft administrator.

      Just a thought.......would give guys a shot at 6 players as opposed to
      just 3......I would be surprised if all the teams participated
      anyway...hahaha......
    • Andrew Quibell
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 7, 2006
        Commish et al,

        Hopefully most of us won't need to use two rounds, but I think it's a good option.

        Andrew
        Q-Crew

        sandford_storm <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[...]

      • cdn_hitmen
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 7, 2006
          If i am going to be doing the set changes in office pools I can also
          do the waiver draft stuff if you want.

          Steve

        • sandford_storm
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 30, 2006
            Any word on the Waiver Draft format......its coming up soon and may
            effect the way teams draft and/or trade. Please advise, again Storm
            preference is for 2 rounds......
          • cdn_hitmen
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 30, 2006
              I like two rounds as well...Would be nice if waiver drafts were done
              in a snake order format.

              Two rounds allows for teams to make up for injuries on their club and
              improve things for that point on.

              Think of all the great pick ups over the years..

              ie KIPRUSOFF and NABOKOV

              Steve
            • sandford_storm
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 31, 2006
                Altough I stand to benefit from a snake waiver draft, the ultimate
                goal is to make teams more competitive and advantage should go to the
                teams lower in the standings.....besides, my guess is 1/4 of the teams
                wont participate...haha
              • Tim McConaghy
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 31, 2006
                  Gents... I do not see the need for a 2 round waiver. I believe one
                  round puts much more emphasis on the waiver draft. In addition, we
                  all drafted so well this year their is only a handful of decent guys
                  available so far.

                  My thought is if you want 2 picks go and make a trade for one.

                  My choice is ONE round, first pick goes to last place team in the
                  standings. BUT, as always the FHL is built on everyones thoughts so
                  please let me know.

                  Keep in mind we have a total of 3 waivers this year so their will
                  always be other opportunities to pick up guys.

                  Regarding comments about replacing injured guys, etc... that is what
                  your reserves are for. If you have less depth (ie Ice Dogs) you
                  take that chance and may need to unload higher priced guys.

                  I think one round waivers will also stimulate more trades to fill
                  holes for injuries, etc.

                  The Commish

                  --- In timsfantasyhockeyleague@yahoogroups.com, sandford_storm
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Altough I stand to benefit from a snake waiver draft, the ultimate
                  > goal is to make teams more competitive and advantage should go to
                  the
                  > teams lower in the standings.....besides, my guess is 1/4 of the
                  teams
                  > wont participate...haha

                • Brian Worsley
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 31, 2006
                    I agree with the commish on this one. I don't think it
                    should be that easy to fix your drafting errors, this
                    way it should make you think twice before you take
                    chances on players.

                    just my opinion
                    LSG Leafs

                    --- Tim McConaghy <barrie_icedogs@...> wrote:

                    > Gents... I do not see the need for a 2 round waiver.
                    > I believe one
                    > round puts much more emphasis on the waiver draft.
                    > In addition, we
                    > all drafted so well this year their is only a
                    > handful of decent guys
                    > available so far.
                    >
                    > My thought is if you want 2 picks go and make a
                    > trade for one.
                    >
                    > My choice is ONE round, first pick goes to last
                    > place team in the
                    > standings. BUT, as always the FHL is built on
                    > everyones thoughts so
                    > please let me know.
                    >
                    > Keep in mind we have a total of 3 waivers this year
                    > so their will
                    > always be other opportunities to pick up guys.
                    >
                    > Regarding comments about replacing injured guys,
                    > etc... that is what
                    > your reserves are for. If you have less depth (ie
                    > Ice Dogs) you
                    > take that chance and may need to unload higher
                    > priced guys.
                    >
                    > I think one round waivers will also stimulate more
                    > trades to fill
                    > holes for injuries, etc.
                    >
                    > The Commish
                    >
                    > --- In timsfantasyhockeyleague@yahoogroups.com,
                    > sandford_storm
                    > <no_reply@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Altough I stand to benefit from a snake waiver
                    > draft, the ultimate
                    > > goal is to make teams more competitive and
                    > advantage should go to
                    > the
                    > > teams lower in the standings.....besides, my guess
                    > is 1/4 of the
                    > teams
                    > > wont participate...haha

                  • William Jackson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 31, 2006
                      I concur that this draft should only be one round...

                      --- Brian Worsley <bworsley@...> wrote:

                      > I agree with the commish on this one. I don't think
                      > it
                      > should be that easy to fix your drafting errors,
                      > this
                      > way it should make you think twice before you take
                      > chances on players.
                      >
                      > just my opinion
                      > LSG Leafs
                      >
                      > --- Tim McConaghy <barrie_icedogs@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Gents... I do not see the need for a 2 round
                      > waiver.
                      > > I believe one
                      > > round puts much more emphasis on the waiver draft.
                      >
                      > > In addition, we
                      > > all drafted so well this year their is only a
                      > > handful of decent guys
                      > > available so far.
                      > >
                      > > My thought is if you want 2 picks go and make a
                      > > trade for one.
                      > >
                      > > My choice is ONE round, first pick goes to last
                      > > place team in the
                      > > standings. BUT, as always the FHL is built on
                      > > everyones thoughts so
                      > > please let me know.
                      > >
                      > > Keep in mind we have a total of 3 waivers this
                      > year
                      > > so their will
                      > > always be other opportunities to pick up guys.
                      > >
                      > > Regarding comments about replacing injured guys,
                      > > etc... that is what
                      > > your reserves are for. If you have less depth (ie
                      > > Ice Dogs) you
                      > > take that chance and may need to unload higher
                      > > priced guys.
                      > >
                      > > I think one round waivers will also stimulate more
                      > > trades to fill
                      > > holes for injuries, etc.
                      > >
                      > > The Commish
                      > >
                      > > --- In timsfantasyhockeyleague@yahoogroups.com,
                      > > sandford_storm
                      > > <no_reply@...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Altough I stand to benefit from a snake waiver
                      > > draft, the ultimate
                      > > > goal is to make teams more competitive and
                      > > advantage should go to
                      > > the
                      > > > teams lower in the standings.....besides, my
                      > guess
                      > > is 1/4 of the
                      > > teams
                      > > > wont participate...haha

                      > Check out the New Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more
                      > powerful email and get things done faster.
                      > (http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta)

                      Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
                      (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)
                    • Andrew Quibell
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 1, 2006
                        Commish et al,

                        I might not even take part in the waiver draft.
                        I'm very happy with my team including my draft choices.
                        With injured players returning, the Q-Crew looks to only be
                        getting stronger.
                        So....if it's a decision between one round or two, I vote for one....
                        as the Commish said...there will be more waiver drafts through the season.
                        I'm in the fortunate position to have a lot of bench players, so my replacements
                        come from within. The downfall with my strategy is that bench player points don't count.
                        Zubrus is having a great set on the bench. Remember him Hitmen and Storm?....the guy who wouldn't be playing with "Alexander the Great".....Toskala sure is looking brilliant with the Sharks....guess we all make mistakes...even the brilliant GMS are wrong sometimes...LOL.

                        Andrew
                        Q-Crew

                        <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > Altough I stand to benefit from a snake waiver draft, the ultimate
                        > goal is to make teams more competitive and advantage should go to
                        the
                        > teams lower in the standings.....besides, my guess is 1/4 of the
                        teams
                        > wont participate...haha

                      • sandford_storm
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 1, 2006
                          Not taking part in the draft, you did read the results from set one
                          didn't you Andrew....and you hahahaha......I think there are more guys
                          available as free agents with higher point totals than your
                          starters....and yes you are correct, Zubris is not one of
                          them......hahahahahahaha........
                        • Tim McConaghy
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
                            Nope, but if you go into the Office Pools reports section you can see
                            who is available by running a report of available players. The
                            Salaries sheet on the FHL file will show each players salary.

                            Waiver Draft will be ONE ROUND.

                            --- In timsfantasyhockeyleague@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Bedford"
                            <GOLFDALE@...> wrote:

                            > Is the Commish sending out a list of players available????

                          • sandford_storm
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
                              Can we hear from the Rage, Rippers, Cyclones, Ice Pirates, Nordiques
                              and Battalion before we say no to 2 round waiver draft.....the debate
                              really just started 3 days ago....???

                              I have it 2 in favour so far and 4 against....
                            • Kevin
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
                                ONE !

                                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                > Can we hear from the Rage, Rippers, Cyclones, Ice Pirates, Nordiques
                                > and Battalion before we say no to 2 round waiver draft.....the debate
                                > really just started 3 days ago....???
                                >
                                > I have it 2 in favour so far and 4 against....

                              • Todd Hounsome
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
                                  I think you should be able to pick as many as you want...providing that pay...there will be more money in the pot at the end.

                                  Can we hear from the Rage, Rippers, Cyclones, Ice Pirates, Nordiques
                                  and Battalion before we say no to 2 round waiver draft.....the debate
                                  really just started 3 days ago....???

                                  I have it 2 in favour so far and 4 against....

                                • Doug & Heidi BEDFORD
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
                                    I really have no preference either way. If you have to pay to increase your team or you don't participate, thats your options. 1 or 2 rounds is fine, but no more than 2.

                                    The Battalion

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
                                      One round.

                                      Bottom feeders like us do not benefit much from the bigger pot due to fees
                                      charged on extra rounds.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
                                        No fees charged for extra rounds this year...included in increase from
                                        60 - 70 dollars ...

                                        Regardless the money used to go into the pot for the bottom four teams
                                        in their own playoff round.
                                      • Tim McConaghy
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
                                          Ice Pirates also voted for one round. I was talking to him earlier
                                          in the week.

                                          No need for 2 rounds in my opinion. We have 3 waiver picks.

                                          I think it is a majority by now.

                                          --- In timsfantasyhockeyleague@yahoogroups.com, cdn_hitmen