Shakeup South of Stroud

  • Andrew Quibell
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      (CP) Innisfil

      After a couple of disappointing sets due to numerous injuries and a few under-achieving players; Q-Crew owner Andrew Quibell wasn't about to allow his teams strong start be nullified and missing the playoffs is not an option for this proud owner. The resulting whirlwind of transactions has seen eight players leave Innisfil (Hull, Reinprecht, Luongo, Lupul, Balej, Peca, Staios and White) and seven players replace them (Turgeon, Elias, Modano, Martin, Cajanek, Afinogenov and Legace).
      Quibell said goodbye to Hull via retirement, Reinprecht was traded to the Battalion for Elias, Luongo was dealt to the Hitmen for Modano/Martin, Lupul was dealt to the Rage for Legace, Turgeon was a waiver pick and Cajanek and Afinogenov were UFA's. This meant that Balej, Peca, Staios and White were released by the team and placed on waivers to become free agents.
      When asked if he regretted any of his dealings, he replied, "Not at all. We have carefully researched and scouted every player that we have given up and acquired. We know their strengths and weaknesses."
      When asked more specifically about franchise goalie Roberto Luongo being dealt to the rival Hitmen for future hall of fame forward Mike Modano and "the next Scott Neidermayer" D-Man Paul Martin Quibell had this to say, "Roberto was a player who we greatly valued and he was one of the main reasons that we completed the blockbuster with the Icedogs to obtain him along with Q-Crew members Recchi and Schneider (and former player JP DuMont). I respect Roberto-but he has not yet consistently played for us the way that we know that he can. We need results in net and we need them now. We were able to significantly upgrade at the forward and defence position. Our plan was to secure solid netminder John Grahame through free agency-but he was quickly acquired by the Leafs. Then we changed our focus to completing a deal. We had to part with quality youngster Joffrey Lupul-but we received goalkeeper Manny Legace in return. Many would argue that Luongo is the better goalie and maybe he is-but
      not according to the numbers. Legace has and will produce more wins and shutouts for the Q-Crew. We are very pleased with this outcome."
      Once this season is completed, we will all be able to reflect on these transactions and decide, is Quibell "GM/Owner of the Year" or just a guy looking to improve his team through movement....time will tell.

    • cdn_hitmen
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
        OR JUST NUTS!!!!