NEW look FHL?

  • Tim McConaghy
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
      Guys,

      The commish has spent some time in his office trying to come up with
      ways to make this league the best it can be. After a year off we
      should bring the league back even stronger that before. Here a few
      proposed changes that might be interesting to look at...

      - Increase FHL Entry Fee to $75 per team (currently sits at $60).

      - Change salary cap back to $250. Teams can opt to go over the cap
      by up to $25 (ONLY at the trade deadline), but for every dollar over
      the cap they spend it will cost them $1 out of their own pockets.

      - Base salary will move from $5 down to $3

      - The League will allow 3 "franchise" players per team- these payers
      will be named your Captain & 2 Assistants (cannot be goaltenders).
      These players are automatically protected players which do not count
      against your protection numbers. You can only rename a franchise
      player if you drop and existing one or trade one away. This however
      can only be done at the start of the season.

      - You will be allowed to protect 7 playersÂ… your franchise guys are
      not included against the 7 players. Again 3 rookies will also be
      free protects.

      - Each year a protected player's salary will go up a min. of $1.
      This will allow for guys that keep getting protected to one day
      become over priced and be dropped back into the draft where his
      salary would be re-adjusted.

      - NHL Free agents who change teams would become an FHL "open market"
      free agent. This player will be available to the highest bidder
      among FHL teams. Bids will be conducted prior to the FHL draft.
      This will allow great player movement and give teams who need to
      strengthen a position the opportunity do so with a quality player.
      It also prevents teams from holding on to the same guys forever and
      gives other teams a chance to pay for a player they want. This also
      allows teams with lower salaries to pay more for a player when
      bidding against a team who has higher salaried guys. Overall this
      should bring more balance to the league.

      - Your 3 "franchise" guys would not be effected by free agency...
      they remain your guys as long as you want to keep paying them.

      Keep in mind these are just some proposed changes to keep the league
      entertaining. At the end of the day this is suppose to be fun so
      let's look at it that way. As always we welcome your feedback,
      ideas & proposals.
    • sandford_storm
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
        Tim, 1st of all looks like you put a lot of thought into some ways to
        shake things up. Here is the Storm's take on your suggestions.

        1) Increase league fee to $75 - dont see a need especially if we
        continue to charge $5 for every F/A pick up. Use the F/A money and
        instead of set amount for winner every year, make it a percentage of
        the pot (entrance fee and F/A pick up fund -league opperating costs).

        2) Change salary cap back to $250......no need, trying to get guys
        under the cap is the challange during off season, I think if you make
        it any higher guys will be less likely to move players as opposed to
        taking chances on lower salary guys and trading away higher priced
        guys for draft picks. Leave at $235 hard cap

        3) Base Salary down - maybe, good to keep a couple rookies on your
        team, but it will just keep the young guys on a team a little
        longer....

        4) 3 Francshise players - no need, just protect 10 guys as
        always.......

        5) Protected players salary goes up $1 - sounds good, especially if
        they have an off year and dont automatically go up as per current
        league rules.

        6) Free Agents and NHL Free Agents - definetly no....its hard enough
        to do up a draft list at the start of every year, let alone start to
        worry about a bidding war. I am definetly opposed to linking our
        league to any NHL contracts etc.......it will make things way to
        difficult for the border line owners who enjoy being in the pool with
        limited participation.

        In closing, I currenlty put a lot of hours into what I do for draft
        and following league through out the year.......I have 2 young boys
        who will soon be starting hockey, tae kwon do, school etc and I have
        a lot of other things on the go as well (Bills season ticks, 2 hockey
        leagues and of course shift work). I think things are great as they
        are, not too complicated but still require a little work to keep a
        good team together.

        DONT CHANGE A GOOD THING...........!!!!

        This has just been one owners opinion......Jim
      • Kevin Hackett
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
          RAGE GRUNTS OUT SOME REPLIES

          - Increase FHL Entry Fee to $75 per team : RAGE APPROVES, ONLY IF MONEY EVENLY DISTRIBUTED TO PLAYOFF ROUND WINNERS

          - Change salary cap back to $250. RAGE DISAPROVES

          - Base salary will move from $5 down to $3 - RAGE APPROVES

          - The League will allow 3 "franchise" players per team - RAGE APPROVES, BUT ALL PLAYERS MUST COUNT (WANT TO SEE TIM PAY $30 FOR BRODEUR SOME DAY

          - You will be allowed to protect 7 players - RAGE APPROVES

          - Each year a protected player's salary will go up a min. of $1 - RAGE APPROVES

          - NHL Free agents who change teams would become an FHL "open market" - RAGE STRONGLY DISAPPROVES, ESPECIALLY TO LUXURY TAX, FORESEES ALL YORK REGIONALS PAYING EXTRA $20!!!

          - Your 3 "franchise" guys would not be effected by free agency - RAGE APPROVES

          ADDITIONAL RAGE PROPOSAL: GM'S NOT SHOWING AT DRAFT FOR >3 YRS DO NOT GET 1ST PICK!!!

          *** RAGE WILL DONATE A BONUS PRIZE TO LEAGUE, TIM CAN PICK AWARD CATEGORY (MOST GOALS FOR? MOST DRUNK GM ON DRAFT DAY? ETC), PRIZE IS A DAMN OVECHKIN DYNAMO REPLICA SHIRT THAT DOESN'T FIT - GRRR - NO REASON TO KEEP

          Kevin Hackett
          Richmond Hill, ON, Canada

          khackett@...

        • Andrew Quibell
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
            Tim,

            Firstly, I appreciate the time that you have spent considering changes for the betterment of our FHL.
            I have to agree with Jimmy and Kevin (that guy is too funny). For the most part, if it's not broken why fix it.
            I agree with the idea re lowering minimum salary from $5 to $3 for rookies and slugs.
            ***I liked the $5 for each additional free agent selected that we utilized in our last active season.***
            I also like the idea of some players changing teams who may otherwise have been IceDogs for life (LOL)...
            I think that $235 is fine as I can't see getting more quality guys to cost $250 without going over my roster limit.
            Loved Kevin's YRP crack....strangely true.
            Just my thoughts....

            Andrew
            Q-Crew

            Tim McConaghy <barrie_icedogs@...> wrote:
[...]

          • cdn_hitmen
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2005
              1. League fee is good - no need for increase - unless KATRINA wiped
              out the commisses offices. (%^$#'n gas prices)...133.8 last night

              2. Leave cap at 235. It hurt me and will soon force other teams as
              to make hard decisions as well. As players get older and points
              increase it will impact all teams when there 10-14 dollar salaries
              hit 17-25 dollars.

              SS - HOSSA, HEJDUK, NAGY, KIPRUSOFF
              IQC - MARLEAU,LUONGO
              BB - DEPIETRO, GIGUERRE
              OWA - HEATLEY, GABORIK, NASH, ZETTERBERG, THEODORE, ZHERDEV
              CIP - LECAVALIER, SPEZZA
              LVR - OVECHKIN
              CH - KOVALCHUK, DATSYUK, AEBISCHER, BERTUZZI
              BID - RICHARDS, TANGUAY, BRODUER,IGINLA, THORNTON, COMRIE, RAYCROFT
              RHR - HAVLAT, DOAN, SOURAY, NABOKOV
              SLC - SATAN, SULLIVAN, TURCO, MURRAY
              LSG - LANG, STLOUIS, CHARA,
              TTN - CROSBY,BRIERE, VISNOVSKY, GOMEZ

              THEN THERE ARE TEAMS WITH LOWER PLAYER SALARIES JUST BECAUSE PLAYERS
              WERE INJURED. IF THESE INJURIES DIDNT OCCUR TEAMS WOULD OF HAD TO
              MOVE OTHE PLAYERS TO KEEP THEM BECAUSE OF THE LOWER CAP:

              SS -
              IQC - OZOLINCH, SAMSONOV, KOVALEV
              BB - ELIAS (HOLDOUT AND HEP A) ,PALFFY, ROENICK, NIEUWENDYK
              OWA - PRONGER, HEATLEY, STRAKA, YSERMAN
              CIP - NOLAN, BELFOUR
              LVR - DEMITRA, MOGILNY
              CH - BERTUZZI (SUSPENSION), LINDROS, LEMIEUX
              BID - THORNTON, BLAKE, ONIEL, ALLISON
              RHR - KOIVU, NABOKOV (HOLDOUT)
              SLC - LECLAIR
              LSG - DAZE, HASEK, SMYTH
              TNN - VISNOVSKY, TKACHUK (SUSPENSIONS), MORRISON

              Just leave it the way it is it will effect EVERYONE.

              3. BASE SALARY - Leave alone - forces decisions again

              4. Maybe select your Captain and 2 assistants at the beginning of
              the year. no matter how good or bad of a season - add 1 dollar to
              their salary but cap salaries at say $25 (for annual increased
              players only). However a player whos performance succeed $25 (based
              on current salary formula) their salary should continue to escalate
              with no cap. Along with the players above having better seasons,
              getting older, and coming of injuries, this rule will force
              decisions to be made, trades made and players released.

              5. NO FREE AGENCY - RELEASED STARS GO INTO DRAFT for slary
              readjustment.

              LETS WORK AT PROMOTING TRADES and PARTICIPATION without complication.

              POSSIBLE SUGGESTION: (TRADE PLAYER/SALARY ADJUSTED FOR NEW TEAM)

              1. IF you trade a player who salary was adjusted because he was on a
              protected list or just a Captain or assistant (whatever rule you
              choose to add $1.00 per year). Then when he is traded to a team his
              salary becomes re adjusted based on his previous years perfomance of
              that player. eg

              MODANO - perfomance last year would of been around say - $9.00
              However, he is protected and I am paying $17.00
              If the $1.00 per year was in (if ive had him for 3 years) then I
              would be paying $20.00 - which is too much based on last years
              performance.
              I know and everyone knows his potential is greater the a $9.00
              performance, but not worth $20.00

              Say I wanted to trade him for a quality player say SMYTH. Who is
              $12.00...

              By making this trade HITMEN go from MODANO 20 to SMYTH 12 = free up
              $8.00 salary room

              LEAFS willing to make trade because he goes from $12 SMYTH - $9.00
              (at modanos adjusted rate based on previous years performance) which
              frees up $3.00 in salary and gives him a good player with far
              greater upside then $9.00.

              Trades would be encouraged and players would not just be dropped
              into the draft.

              Just a tought. hopefully that makes sense.

              We all have players like MODANO, or will have when a dollar per year
              is added on top of performance increases.

              CH - MODANO, SAKIC, FORSBERG
              SLC - YASHIN
              BB - GIGUERRE, PALFFY
              RHR - FEDEROV
              SS - KARIYA, LIDSTROM, LALIME
              OWA - SAVARD
              LSG - JAGR
              IQC - KOVALEV, SAMSONOV
              CIP - NOLAN, SUNDIN, BELFOUR
              TTN - SHANNAHAN
              LVR - HAMRLIK, ZUBOV, MOGILNY, DEMITRA,BONDRA
              BID - ACTIVE TRADER - DOESNT CURRENT HAVE THE ISSUE - WILL HAVE with
              new rule.

              A lot of other players were already adjusted by going into draft,
              which could of went on to others protected lists like, HASEK,
              LEMIEUX, LINDROS, ALLISON, LECLAIR, STRAKA, YSERMAN, JOSEPH,
              ROENICK, RECCHI, KABERLE etc etc etc.