Niittymaki Outshining Wild's Lehtonen in Calder Cup Final

  • Andrew Quibell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2005
      (CP) Innisfil The wisdom of drafting with future vision is showing now as Q-Crew GM Andrew Quibell quietly smiles as his scouting prowess landed him the rights to Philadelphia Phantom goaltending phenom Antero Niittymaki in last years draft.
      "We had been pursuing a deal with the Wild for Kari Lehtonen prior to the draft as we recognized his huge potential as a top goaltender in the FHL in the next couple of years. The Wild saw the same upside and a deal was never completed. Niittymaki was Plan B as our scouting staff had ranked him as the #1 goaltender outside of the FHL."
      The Q-Crew goaltending is solid with Roberto Luongo among FHL leaders, Dwayne Rolosson as a solid backup and now the emergence of young Niittymaki.
      In the Calder Cup Final, Niittymaki has bettered the Wild's Kari Lehtonen as the Phantoms are up 2-0 in the series. Antero has been stellar in stopping 75 of 76 shots. The only goal scored on him was on a 5 on 3 Chicago powerplay.
      Once the FHL resumes, look for the Q-Crew to be among the league leaders...especially in goaltending stats.