Re: [timexdatalinkusbdevelop] Re: wBuilder Version 0.6

  • Pierre
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      Hi Tons,

      Selon tonsofquestions <tonsofquestions@...>:

      > I've been using your tool a bit now, a couple of questions/comments:
      >
      > It might be useful to have a "total" line somewhere that displays the
      > total size of the app, number of files, states, etc. all in one handy
      > place.

      I will add this in the next version.

      > It would be really cool (though admittedly perhaps a little difficult)
      > to be able to click on a file in a state, and have it open in an
      > editor. It would be harder if the state has multiple files (because
      > then the box would have several names to distinguish between), but if
      > it's just one file, I think it might not be too bad.

      Why not. Personnaly I always have an editor (psPad) opened when I use wBuilder.

      > If one of the states is too large, an invalid *_code.bin is generated.
      > Invalid as in the VDLK can't handle it. The original tool generated a
      > working app, even if it would potentially cause problems, and
      > overwrite needed memory. This was useful for testing, you could see
      > that code was working properly (for the most part), and then optimize
      > out extra bytes later. While this way is perhaps technically more
      > correct, it might be better to not generate a *_code.bin at all,
      > though I think generating the oversized one would be preferable. It
      > would also be very important to be able to do this when Paulo gets his
      > "larger effective code space" modification working properly.

      I can add a check box to allow the code generation even if there is an oversized
      state.

      > A question: at what point are the .ers/.elk files checked for errors?
      Yes!

      > I ask this because I added a filesize check in a helper .bat file - I
      > use it as a sanity-check/warning for when I modify the browser in
      > modebrowser. (We use unallocated memory at the end of the state as an
      > extra buffer, but if we make the state too large from changes, we
      > might not have enough room. So if the filesize changes I drop in a
      > warning to make sure the developer double-checks that there's still
      > the necessary memory left). What I do right now is move the .sre file
      > away, and add in a .ers with a warning (all at the end of
      > compilation). It worked with the Timex builder (the second step
      > couldn't find the sre for the state and brought up it's usual error
      > message), but with your tool no errors are reported (the text of the
      > .ers file I create doesn't appear in the box), and no other messages
      > appear, but the wristapp is not generated. Is there a better way I
      > should be doing this? Perhaps something small could be changed to make
      > this possible?
      Send me your project in other to test it.

      > Finally, one additional observation/request related to the VDLK
      > (instead of wBuilder). On the watch, before the COMM mode is entered,
      > all of the apps' background handlers get sent a "SHUTDOWN_FOR_COMM"
      > event. Could the emulator send these as well, before entering it's
      > COMM mode (and loading in new wristapps)? It would be very helpful
      > when working with TSRs (like neolink), both in testing that it would
      > work properly on a real watch, and to avoid the repeated crashes that
      > ocurr without it after every sync (the SHUTDOWN event clears up some
      > modified internal data, which causes problems if other wristapps - or
      > the same on - are loaded into memory). For example, loading the
      > sv_night app and then removing it works fine on the watch, but on the
      > emulator it can never be removed without resetting (or loading a
      > save-state).

      Actually the load feature is a hack. It's far to be perfect. Actually the best
      thing to do when you want to add a new wristapp it's to first reset to watch and
      then to load the new wristapp.

      --
      Pierre
      http://datalinkwristapps.free.fr
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2007
        > Why not. Personnaly I always have an editor (psPad) opened when I
        use wBuilder.

        Yes, I have an editor open, too (I'm lazy and use notepad *hangs head
        in shame*), but sometimes there's an error in a file I was working on
        a while before, that I might have closed. Or maybe I'm looking at the
        list of files and think of something cool to add. It's more of a
        convenience thing, not a huge deal-breaker.

        > I can add a check box to allow the code generation even if there is
        an oversized
        > state.

        Cool

        > > A question: at what point are the .ers/.elk files checked for errors?
        > Yes!

        Sorry, I guess I was a little unclear. I didn't have any doubts that
        they did get checked, I wasn't sure when.

        > Send me your project in other to test it.

        Actually, the one I'm working on is pretty big, I'll just make a tiny
        one to demonstrate what I mean. I'll send it to you a bit later,
        either today or tomorrow.

        > Actually the load feature is a hack. It's far to be perfect.
        Actually the best
        > thing to do when you want to add a new wristapp it's to first reset
        to watch and
        > then to load the new wristapp.

        Hmm. Good to know. Unfortunately, I was hoping to be able to test the
        unloading of the wristapp. It's actually important in Neolink because
        of how I modify the TOD state handlers. I'm fairly certain it's
        correct, but it would still be nice to test/debug on the emulator
        instead of the watch.