Re: Creating a database?

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19 5:02 PM
      --- In timexdatalinkusbdevelop@yahoogroups.com, "milosoftware" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Sticking to my "small steps" method of developing stuff, I ran into
      > the problem of how to create a database for my wristapp to use.

      > The basic problem i ran into here is how do I create the initial
      > database on the PC? Do i have to put it together with a hex editor?

      I had created an initial database in a .ASM file, using AS88, LK88, LC88, and then CYGWIN/GNU BINUTILS objcopy to create the actual xxx_database_018.bin file.

      I didn't bother trying to get the scripts to compile it, since its a one-time build (how often do you change your database structure?)

      Using the existing assembler, I didn't have to worry about big-endian/little-endian issues.

      ...Bob
    • tonsofquestions
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20 9:17 AM
        Is there a reason to respond to a post that's nearly half a year old?
        As far as putting it in an .asm file goes, it's a neat idea, but you still have to figure out all of the header-values, and you potentially run into issues with padding to a full multiple of 64 bytes for the database. I'm not sure if that's strictly required or if the PIM software will handle it, but it's in the spec.
        Also, in my development, I actually have redesigned my database on occastion. I also have multiple databases for different projects, and so wouldn't want to have to do a one-off each time. My personal solution is the one I mentioned - a short C program.

        -Tons