236Dr. Dennis Embry - Follow Up

  • Amanda
    Jun 3, 2009
      From 21 Reasons:
      Thank you for your commitment to Raising Healthy Kids. Our  community sponsors and supporters were very pleased with Dr. Embry's visit here to Maine. We are thrilled you took the time away from a beautiful spring evening to join us in hearing his message. To learn more about Dr. Dennis Embry and his work, visit www.paxis.org . There you can find his 2008 paper, "Evidence-based Kernels: Fundamental Units of Behavioral Influence," as well as links to other resources.

      We owe a special thank you to the Maine Office of Substance Abuse (OSA) for helping us to make Dr. Embry's visit possible.   We urge you to visit their special website for parents, which includes many important tips and tools for preventing  youth substance abuse: www.Maineparents.net

      We also urge you to get involved with your local prevention coalition. A special thanks go out to the following organizations whose support made this event possible:
      City of Portland Public Health & Human Services, Health Promotion & Chronic Disease Prevention Programs, a Healthy Maine Partnership. Their mission is to create an environment which fosters the healthy development of every member of our diverse community, as well as to connect those who need help with the resources they need. To learn more, visit www.substanceabuse.portlandmaine.gov

      People's Regional Opportunity Program, Communities Promoting Health, a Healthy Maine Partnership serving the Lakes and Rivers regions of Cumberland County. A community coalition which consists of a diverse and committed group of individuals from all walks of life who have a sincere passion for improving the quality of life for the residents of nine communities in the outer Portland area.  To learn more, visit: www.propeople.org/Programs/PROP_Community/communities_health.php

      Healthy Sebasticook Valley Healthy Communities Coalition, a Healthy Maine Partnership. A coalition designed to support and promote healthy lifestyles to reduce chronic disease and increase quality of life in the Sebasticook Valley Region, through policy and environmental change.  To learn more, visit: www.healthysv.org

      Greater Waterville Communities for Children and Youth, a Healthy Maine Partnership. A community coalition to measurably improve the lives of children and youth in the Greater Waterville area by fostering community collaboration. For more information contact Nancy Findlan, Project Director nancy@...

      Boys to Men, a community collaboration whose mission it is to reduce interpersonal violence by providing programs and advocacy that support the healthy development of adolescent boys; challenge the culture of violence that wounds boys and the men that they become; increase community awareness about the specific needs of boys; and provide assistance and educational resources to boys and those who help raise them. To learn more, visit: www.boystomen.info

      Real Life. Real Talk. (RLRT), a project of Planned Parenthood of Northern New England. RLRT is a bold, nationwide, social change effort. Its aim is to positively change the social climate in communities by creating more open, honest, and balanced talk about sex and health. To learn more, visit:  www.realliferealtalk.org

      21 Reasons, Portland, a project of Medical Care Development.  21 Reasons is a coalition of individuals, organizations, and businesses with a common goal: to build a healthy community environment with policies, practices, and attitudes that support the drug-free development of all youth. To learn more, visit: www.21reasons.org