Infinite Stratos so popular that pre-orders have exhausted initia print run

  • Codename V
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
      According to the weekly mailing list for Robert's Anime Corner Store,

      "Last Friday afternoon we received our initial order copies of both the Infinite Stratos Complete Collection DVD and BD sets.  When we pre-order titles from a studio we have to take into account the number of pre-orders we will probably receive, and then how many people will buy one over the following 3 or 4 weeks once it arrives. Even
      though we have a lot of statistics and estimates to go by based on
      several factors, this process is still more art than science. Most of
      the time we do a pretty good job, but we had NO IDEA how popular Infinite Stratos was going to be. After filling pre-orders Friday, our entire remaining
      quantity of the DVD was completely sold out by Saturday, and the BD's had
      vaporized by Sunday. I was seen ranting up and down the halls on Monday
      things like "holy shit Batman, is there an order that came in over the
      weekend that DIDN'T have Infinite Stratos on it???!!!" and "we gotta get more copies in here FAST or we're going to be in the backorder
      abyss!!!!" By the time we had finished processing new orders on Tuesday
      we had a lot of backorders booked for it, but had also lit a fire down
      at Section 23 for more copies. They had more DVD's in the warehouse, and those arrived yesterday so we have now filled all the backorders for
      the DVD version and have it in stock pretty deep. The BD is already back in replication, and won't be back in stock until next week - we'll get
      those out as soon as we can.  All in all, pretty impressive for a title that doesn't even street until April 10th. :-) "

      So Section 23 is already having to produce more copies...before the street date.  Always a good sign.  I hope this means it will more than earn back the extra cost of dubbing/Blu Ray.

    • Herbie Garcia
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
        On a side note to IS:

        The first episode is available online on The Anime Network. (Wich i saw)

        The dub is pretty darned good i'll be getting the set during its second
        printing.

        See ya!
      • Codename V
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2012
          Oh, I was unaware the first dubbed episode was up on The Anime Network website.

          TAN has a fine online player (haha) -- ANNcast answered my question a few weeks ago, about why Funimation Channel was getting dropped from FIOS but The Anime Network was doing well;  they said that TAN worked hard the past 5 or so years to diversify into being an on-demand platform, after the previous attempt to be a 24 hour channel didn't meet demand.  They said that Funimation Channel essentially repeated the exact same mistake; trying to be a full-time channel and not just an on-demand platform.

          Of course FUNimation is doing well at other things; TAN is both an on-demand platform and web player, while FUNimation split that between "FUNimation Channel" and the web player on their actual website, which is doing pretty well.

          Either way, they said all the work TAN put into becoming a reliable online platform really paid off, and at this point companies without streaming platforms are doomed (a far cry from what I remember from Anime Boston 2008, when every industry panel would debate "are we really sure we NEED online streaming?" -- then at AB 2009, they said that The Anime Network would launch an online streaming platform in a month; I was skeptical (every company would wave us off with "yeah we'd LIKE an online player) but then a month later TAN's shiny new online player actually launched.