TRSI & Nozomi to re-release Martian Successor Nadesico in 2012

  • Codename
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
      At Anime Expo, it was announced that The Right Stuff International and their distribution arm Nozomi Entertainment will be re-releasing Martian Successor Nadesico in 2012. They do expect it to be a remastered version.

      This makes my job easier, because when discussing Evangelion, I try to use the analogy that "Eva sometimes makes fun of other shows in the Giant Robot genre, just as Martian Successor Nadesico mercilessly parodied the Real Robot genre".....and some of the kids at the convention panels I run are too young to remember Nadesico. So I hope that spreads more awareness; I watched it in 2008 when my college anime club marathoned an old DVD box set of it, and I was *openly surprised* at how fresh it all remained, despite being 10 years old at that point.

      The big thing I try to point out is that...some fans don't really understand that there are points when Eva was contrasting itself with other Giant Robot shows -- i.e. these days having an emotionally distraught male lead is considered the standard....because Shinji Ikari was such a big influence. Back in the late 1990's Giant Robot shows had Power Rangers-level character development; and the male leader's father was usually the kindly scientist who invented their giant robots. That's why it was just so shocking and innovative when Gendo and Shinji had no functional relationship. I wish the series had played this up more, but there are moments in say, episode 3, when Shinji's classmates are asking questions about the Evas as if they are stereotypical Giant Robots....i.e. "what's its special attack?" and the most he can say is "er...it has a knife...". So in Nadesico, they kind of had the same thing with....you know if there was ONE way I would improve Eva, it would be the genius of having a show-within-a-show like "Gekiganger 3" -- a stereotypical show to contrast with how atypical the actual story's plot is.

      Either way I'm happy Nadesico is out there again; from what I can tell it was popular when first released, but it didn't have the decade-long staying power of some other shows....though except for say, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Gundam, Eva, etc. that's actually the exception and not the norm.
    • Codename

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2011
          My question is: for someone like me, who already owns two different versions of it, are there any new additions which would make it worthwhile for me to buy? Like say, the Gekiganger OAV.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2011
            Its not clear, but they didn't even mention the exact details of the release
            just yet (other than a vague promise that they intended to remaster it), I
            imagine details will come out later....but they *did* clearly state that it will
            include the Gekiganger III OVA.

            ________________________________
            My question is: for someone like me, who already owns two different versions of
            it, are there any new additions which would make it worthwhile for me to buy?
            Like say, the Gekiganger OAV.

            --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Codename"
            <revolutionofevangelion_dot_org@...> wrote:

            > At Anime Expo, it was announced that The Right Stuff International and their
            >distribution arm Nozomi Entertainment will be re-releasing Martian Successor
            >Nadesico in 2012. They do expect it to be a remastered version.
            >
            > This makes my job easier, because when discussing Evangelion, I try to use the
            >analogy that "Eva sometimes makes fun of other shows in the Giant Robot genre,
            >just as Martian Successor Nadesico mercilessly parodied the Real Robot
            >genre".....and some of the kids at the convention panels I run are too young to
            >remember Nadesico. So I hope that spreads more awareness; I watched it in 2008
            >when my college anime club marathoned an old DVD box set of it, and I was
            >*openly surprised* at how fresh it all remained, despite being 10 years old at
            >that point.
            >
            > The big thing I try to point out is that...some fans don't really understand
            >that there are points when Eva was contrasting itself with other Giant Robot
            >shows -- i.e. these days having an emotionally distraught male lead is
            >considered the standard....because Shinji Ikari was such a big influence. Back
            >in the late 1990's Giant Robot shows had Power Rangers-level character
            >development; and the male leader's father was usually the kindly scientist who
            >invented their giant robots. That's why it was just so shocking and innovative
            >when Gendo and Shinji had no functional relationship. I wish the series had
            >played this up more, but there are moments in say, episode 3, when Shinji's
            >classmates are asking questions about the Evas as if they are stereotypical
            >Giant Robots....i.e. "what's its special attack?" and the most he can say is
            >"er...it has a knife...". So in Nadesico, they kind of had the same thing
            >with....you know if there was ONE way I would improve Eva, it would be the
            >genius of having a show-within-a-show like "Gekiganger 3" -- a stereotypical
            >show to contrast with how atypical the actual story's plot is.
            >

            > Either way I'm happy Nadesico is out there again; from what I can tell it was
            >popular when first released, but it didn't have the decade-long staying power of
            >some other shows....though except for say, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Gundam, Eva,
            >etc. that's actually the exception and not the norm.

          • Herbie Garcia
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2011
              Just got back from AX 2011 and yes Right Stuf did announce Nadesico
              (Plus the movies besides the Genkganger OAV)
              Also they dded The Dirty Pair OVAs & Dirty Pail Flash.

              Hope this helps.
            • Herbie Garcia
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2011
                Howdy all!

                Meant ta say Dirty Pair Flash.
                And the Nadesico Movie.

                ANN has a list of AX news if anyones interested.