Re: FUNimation webcast confirms Tiffany returning as Asuka in Rebuild of Eva 2!!!!!

  • vtr9kvictor
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2011
      Mari is an awful, awful character. Her entire purpose is to sell more merchandise. In order to justify her existence in the movie Gainax used her to replace key characters in important scenes, for instance when Kaji finally convinces Shinji to go out and fight the 14th Angel (Zeruel) after Asuka and Rei are defeated - oh wait Mari does that now. Then of course there's other little changes they made that couldn't POSSIBLY go wrong. Remember how Shinji and Kaji kind of bonded in Eva - oh wait that doesn't happen anymore. Oh remember when Shinji and Asuka kind of sort of maybe bonded - oh wait that doesn't happen either.

      But don't worry! For 3.0 there are going to be MORE NEW PILOTS!

      2.0 is almost enough to cross Eva off my list of "Must Watch" anime.

      --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Callahan <coco28h@...> wrote:

      > In regards to Mari, I'm thinking her presence is somewhat intriguing. From what we see from Evangelion 2.0 I'm pretty sure her role will become clear in 3.0 and I'm also fairly sure she's part of something much larger. I also think her addition has something to do with the creators attempting to make each of the characters even more distinct (i.e rei is the super ego, asuka is the ego and mari is the id). Again these Are my theories and I enjoy her addition but am always an Asuka fan at heart anyway so blah. Oh and could someone tell funimation to release the blue rays earlier?
      >
      > Peace
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone

    • Codename V
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2011
        AVOID SPOILERS

        Mari is simply a parody character developed to satirize the concept of "oh look,
        we inserted a new character! Buy more merchandise!"....by which I mean, even her
        Eva unit-05 feels needlessly thrown in briefly just to sell the action
        figures....on purpose.

        What I think a lot of people don't realize in Eva are the ways it satirizes
        Giant Robot; I've actually run into people who....try to argue that "Shinji is
        the perfect brave male lead"....when the whole point is that he's really this
        subversion of that, he has all of these confidence problems, falls flat on his
        face in episode one, etc.

        Sort of like how "Watchmen" was a deconstruction of Super Hero comics, Eva was a
        deconstruction of Giant Robot.

        So "Mari Makinami", who's actually barely in Rebuild 2, is just this walking
        satire of "a new character"

        Otaku USA magazine's feature story on Rebuild of Eva 2.0 even directly compares
        her to Poochie from the Simpsons.

        ________________________________

        wrote:

        > In regards to Mari, I'm thinking her presence is somewhat intriguing. From what
        >we see from Evangelion 2.0 I'm pretty sure her role will become clear in 3.0 and
        >I'm also fairly sure she's part of something much larger. I also think her
        >addition has something to do with the creators attempting to make each of the
        >characters even more distinct (i.e rei is the super ego, asuka is the ego and
        >mari is the id). Again these Are my theories and I enjoy her addition but am
        >always an Asuka fan at heart anyway so blah. Oh and could someone tell
        >funimation to release the blue rays earlier?
        >

        > Peace
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone

      • vtr9kvictor
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 7, 2011
          The story of Evangelion is over 10 years old. It has officially exceeded the Statute of Limitations on Spoilers.

          Its like saying "Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father" is a spoiler.

          --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Codename V <revolutionofevangelion_dot_org@...> wrote:

          > AVOID SPOILERS

        • John Shoemaker
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 7, 2011
            What?!!! Vader is Luke's Dad?!!! That's not true! That's impossible!!! NO!!!

            -John

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 7, 2011
              ...listing off the specific, major plot differences of the Rebuild of Evangelion
              remake series, which drastically differ from the original series, are indeed
              spoilers.

              ________________________________
              returning as Asuka in Rebuild of Eva 2!!!!!

              The story of Evangelion is over 10 years old. It has officially exceeded the
              Statute of Limitations on Spoilers.

              Its like saying "Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father" is a spoiler.

              --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Codename V
              <revolutionofevangelion_dot_org@...> wrote:

              > AVOID SPOILERS

            • vtr9kvictor
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2011
                There ARE NO PLOT DIFFERENCES. Only WHO DELIVERS the plot. The new character eliminates the need for the old ones to even be there at all. She doesn't change IN ANY WAY what happens. She just stands in the place of the real character like the understudy in a play when the real star has stomache flu.

                --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Codename V <revolutionofevangelion_dot_org@...> wrote:

                > ...listing off the specific, major plot differences of the Rebuild of Evangelion
                > remake series, which drastically differ from the original series, are indeed
                > spoilers.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Codename V
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 11, 2011
                  ....the entire series of events surrounding Eva-03 in Rebuild are drastically
                  different plot-wise and should be considered spoilers.

                  ________________________________
                  returning as Asuka in Rebuild of Eva 2!!!!!

                  There ARE NO PLOT DIFFERENCES. Only WHO DELIVERS the plot. The new character
                  eliminates the need for the old ones to even be there at all. She doesn't
                  change IN ANY WAY what happens. She just stands in the place of the real
                  character like the understudy in a play when the real star has stomache flu.

                  --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Codename V
                  <revolutionofevangelion_dot_org@...> wrote:

                  > ...listing off the specific, major plot differences of the Rebuild of
                  >Evangelion
                  >
                  > remake series, which drastically differ from the original series, are indeed
                  > spoilers.

                • vtr9kvictor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 11, 2011
                    Didn't mention Eva 03 at all did I?