Asuka in Rebuild of Eva 2.0

  • frumious99
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2009
      okay, massive spoilers, but I've seen some fansub reports of a few things and I think I've been able to piece together what happens with Asuka in Rebuild 2:

      MASSIVE SPOILERS of course

      As I said, initial fan reports said that Asuka is the pilot of Eva-03 in Rebuild 2.0, and that she doesn't get just crippled but dies.

      Indeed, on-screen there is text that says "Asuka: KIA" at some point.

      However, after the initial wave of shocked reports, it became clear that Asuka isn't actually dead (particularly because she inexplicably shows up on the Rebuild of Eva 3 preview, wearing an eyepatch (not a medical one, like a pirate one)

      ***There's this subtle, critical scene right after the Eva-03 fight with just Ritsuko and Maya, looking down into what seems to be an odd-looking intensive care unit (its different enough that the initial audiences didn't realize it was a medical thing)

      I've been more or less able to confirm what Ritsuko and Maya's conversation is: It's something along the lines of that Ritsuko says they're concerned that their might have been "mental contamination" with the Angel that infected Eva-03 (remember how they also worry about "mental contamination" in episode 2 as well as when the Angel contacts Shinji's mind in episode 16)......

      ...so Ritsuko and Maya are actually looking down from a window at a body completely covered in intensive life-support equipment (with Asuka's hair coming out from underneath)...and Ritsuko says that they can't discard the possibility that there was "mental contamination", so they're going to "put it in quarantine". Maya reacts shocked, and asks "you're not going to discard it are you?!" and Ritsuko says "No, it's too valuable a sample"

      Shinji thinks Asuka is dead, and it's not clear of Misato knows she's not dead or if she was lied to as well (wouldn't be the first time Ritsuko did that)

      But apparently the reason everyone thinks Asuka is dead is because she's in an Intensive Care Unit clinging to life, and because they were afraid of "mental contamination" Ritsuko decided to tell everyone she was dead and keep her as a lab rat.

      You see they seem to have combined several Angel fights: the Zeruel fight from episode 19 sort of got combined with the Armisael fight from episode 23 (the Director's Cut version) in the Zeruel merges with Eva-00.

      Now if you listen closely, when the Angel Bardiel takes over Eva-03, and Asuka's in the Entry Plug, you can hear *girls voices giggling*...exactly like in the Director's Cut episode 22 "mind-rape" scenes Asuka had, when the army of invisible Asukas are running at her in her mind.

      So my running guess is that Rebuild of Eva 3 will have flashback scenes showing that the Bardiel Angel "mind raped" Asuka, and they sort of combined both fights.
    • mayor_light
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2009
        Your meticulous research is admirable, V.

        I, however, would prefer wait and enjoy the movie when Funimation releases it.

        There is nothing wrong with posting spoilers for any title, especially if we are advised ahead of time.

        That said, I do ask that we remain considerate of our fellow members - especially when discussing a title that has not been released on our side of the Pacific in such explicit detail.

        Many of us are waiting for Tiffany to reprise her signature role and I'm pretty sure that we all want to savor whatever surprises lie in store for us.

        Best regards,

        Edgard Aedo
        Moderator