Re: Genshiken!.....Otaku Central

  • vtr9kvictor
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
      Genshiken rules! Oh and Suncoast has Kanako Ohno figures. Run out
      and get yours now.

      --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "sidd_6point7"
      <sidd_6point7@y...> wrote:

      > About the Anime called "Genshiken"...has anyone else seen this
      show?
      > (it's not an ADV product, I think it's media blasters?).
      >
      > I've posted this a few other groups (just to get a feel of
      > opinion) I know that Tiffany writes english scripts fo animes and I
      > was curious as to her thoughts on this series (if she's seen it- I
      > know she's busy) it's very addictive and put together well.
      >
      > This is a strange venture into the world of "Otaku"- From
      > making the assembled robot models, to cosplay, to gamers, to the
      > Comic-Fests, the perils of dating and "Otaku", the horror's
      > of 'Athletes Foot' (no really), to the inter-related politics that
      > govern rank and nobility with-in the said designated "sub-culture"
      > of Otaku.
      >
      > I saw the first few and got strangly hooked and devoured the
      > second disc and can't wait for #3. What's strange is that it's
      > satire and rapid fire references are very good and educational for
      > Yankee like myself- it's abit like "Comic Party" only it's all the
      > lurid details they left out- lol. It's about a college club (called
      > the by the title) and seen mostly through the eyes of 2 freshman. A
      > male Padawan Otaku 'in-training' and a female who's in love with
      her
      > childhood friend...who happens to be Otaku and she will spend her
      > whole life trying to disuade him of this.
      >
      > If you liked the social satire of MTV's "Daria" mixed with an
      > indepth look at Japanese Otaku culture (from I could tell)- it's
      > worth checking out....it ironically has little actual 'Character'
      > Fan-Service yet, that and sex in anime, manga, video games,
      cosplay,
      > ect come up in 1 out of every 3 conversations. It's almost like an
      > animated college version of "Sinefeld" in the fact that they do
      > nothing and yet through character interation express and go through
      > so much- it's an amazing balence. The cast is full of 'NoBodys'
      > I've ever heard of yet they've tweaked their characters
      > like "Pros"....one's even a mild studderer.
      >
      > Anyone else seen this little Gem?
      >
      > Sidd6.7

    • Mike Dungan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
        On 1/1/06, vtr9kvictor <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Genshiken rules! Oh and Suncoast has Kanako Ohno figures.

        Sold!

      • vtr9kvictor
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
          She's dressed as a ninja.

          --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dungan
          <martialstax@g...> wrote:

          > On 1/1/06, vtr9kvictor <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > >
          > > Genshiken rules! Oh and Suncoast has Kanako Ohno figures.
          >

          > Sold!

        • Mike Dungan
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
            Okay, I'm buying a crate of them.

            On 1/1/06, vtr9kvictor <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            > She's dressed as a ninja.
            >

            > --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dungan
            > <martialstax@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On 1/1/06, vtr9kvictor <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Genshiken rules! Oh and Suncoast has Kanako Ohno figures.
            > >

            > > Sold!

          • gaiking6
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
              Ah, Genshiken... my choice for anime sleeper hit of 2005!! I love it!
              It has this great 'welcoming' feel for me. Each episode has at least
              three LOL moments, and reminds me of everything that I've experienced
              among otaku for the past 5 years. Funny, I can say that since all
              I've seen are US anime fans and these are supposed to be Japanese red-
              blooded otaku. (sniff... I say 'reminds me' because of evil Suncoast,
              see mini-rant below.)

              I haven't tried the manga yet, but it sounds good enough. (Great,
              more money to spend.) The third DVD was supposed to have been
              released on 12/13. Most websites don't have it available yet, but
              still give the same date.

              Of course, my crappy Suncoast doesn't have it or the Ohno figure.
              After they drove out the only anime dedicated store/otaku meeting
              hall in the city, Suncoast moved all their anime to the back wall,
              reduced the stock by a third, and gave up on getting anything new or
              on time. My own little Genshiken, gone. :( I should just get a
              subscription to Newtype USA and never set foot in there again.

              So, yeah, I've HLJ'ed the Ohno figure, and the set of collector
              figures too. :)

              <martialstax@g...> wrote:

              > Okay, I'm buying a crate of them.
              >
              > On 1/1/06, vtr9kvictor <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > >
              > > She's dressed as a ninja.
              > >

              > > --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dungan
              > > <martialstax@g...> wrote:

              > > > Sold!

            • chuck shandry
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                Also there's an anime within the anime-"Kujibiki
                Unbalance" You may have seen one of the characters- a
                blonde with this weird helmet/hat with holes along the
                side. Chuck

                --- sidd_6point7 <sidd_6point7@...> wrote:

                > About the Anime called "Genshiken"...has anyone else
                > seen this show?
                > (it's not an ADV product, I think it's media
                > blasters?).
                >
                > I've posted this a few other groups (just to get
                > a feel of
                > opinion) I know that Tiffany writes english scripts
                > fo animes and I
                > was curious as to her thoughts on this series (if
                > she's seen it- I
                > know she's busy) it's very addictive and put
                > together well.
                >
                > This is a strange venture into the world of
                > "Otaku"- From
                > making the assembled robot models, to cosplay, to
                > gamers, to the
                > Comic-Fests, the perils of dating and "Otaku", the
                > horror's
                > of 'Athletes Foot' (no really), to the inter-related
                > politics that
                > govern rank and nobility with-in the said designated
                > "sub-culture"
                > of Otaku.
                >
                > I saw the first few and got strangly hooked and
                > devoured the
                > second disc and can't wait for #3. What's strange is
                > that it's
                > satire and rapid fire references are very good and
                > educational for a
                > Yankee like myself- it's abit like "Comic Party"
                > only it's all the
                > lurid details they left out- lol. It's about a
                > college club (called
                > the by the title) and seen mostly through the eyes
                > of 2 freshman. A
                > male Padawan Otaku 'in-training' and a female who's
                > in love with her
                > childhood friend...who happens to be Otaku and she
                > will spend her
                > whole life trying to disuade him of this.
                >
                > If you liked the social satire of MTV's
                > "Daria" mixed with an
                > indepth look at Japanese Otaku culture (from I could
                > tell)- it's
                > worth checking out....it ironically has little
                > actual 'Character'
                > Fan-Service yet, that and sex in anime, manga, video
                > games, cosplay,
                > ect come up in 1 out of every 3 conversations. It's
                > almost like an
                > animated college version of "Sinefeld" in the fact
                > that they do
                > nothing and yet through character interation express
                > and go through
                > so much- it's an amazing balence. The cast is full
                > of 'NoBodys'
                > I've ever heard of yet they've tweaked their
                > characters
                > like "Pros"....one's even a mild studderer.
                >
                > Anyone else seen this little Gem?
                >
                > Sidd6.7

                "It feels so GOOD to wear the bunny ears of command again!-Annette-Gremlin Trouble

                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                dsl.yahoo.com
              • dimicelli@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Didn't that get it's own series as well?
                  Pete

                • sidd_6point7
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                    --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, vtr9kvictor
                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                    > Genshiken rules! Oh and Suncoast has Kanako Ohno figures. Run
                    out
                    > and get yours now.

                    LOL....she's a sweetie but I'm more of a Saki fan. I love her
                    sarcastic speeches ("Hurray for Spring!...what a joke") and yet it's
                    histerical that she's so vulnerable in the Otaku world- like when
                    she tried to learn to play "Poy-yo-Pop", I love the annoucer at the
                    end who reflects "and that was the last time Saki ever played a
                    video game!" (Saki cries under a pillow). I love her run-ins with
                    the "Foot Girl", Her digs at the Freshman, and her fear of the "1st
                    Chairman"- lol. She's really a great character....and looks very
                    cute with the Cat Ears!- lol

                    > --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "sidd_6point7"
                    > <sidd_6point7@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > About the Anime called "Genshiken"...has anyone else seen this
                    > show?
                    > > (it's not an ADV product, I think it's media blasters?).
                    > >
                    > > I've posted this a few other groups (just to get a feel of
                    > > opinion) I know that Tiffany writes english scripts fo animes
                    and I
                    > > was curious as to her thoughts on this series (if she's seen it-
                    > > know she's busy) it's very addictive and put together well.
                    > >
                    > > This is a strange venture into the world of "Otaku"- From
                    > > making the assembled robot models, to cosplay, to gamers, to the
                    > > Comic-Fests, the perils of dating and "Otaku", the horror's
                    > > of 'Athletes Foot' (no really), to the inter-related politics
                    that
                    > > govern rank and nobility with-in the said designated "sub-
                    culture"
                    > > of Otaku.
                    > >
                    > > I saw the first few and got strangly hooked and devoured
                    the
                    > > second disc and can't wait for #3. What's strange is that it's
                    > > satire and rapid fire references are very good and educational
                    for
                    > > Yankee like myself- it's abit like "Comic Party" only it's all
                    the
                    > > lurid details they left out- lol. It's about a college club
                    (called
                    > > the by the title) and seen mostly through the eyes of 2
                    freshman. A
                    > > male Padawan Otaku 'in-training' and a female who's in love with
                    > her
                    > > childhood friend...who happens to be Otaku and she will spend
                    her
                    > > whole life trying to disuade him of this.
                    > >
                    > > If you liked the social satire of MTV's "Daria" mixed with
                    an
                    > > indepth look at Japanese Otaku culture (from I could tell)- it's
                    > > worth checking out....it ironically has little
                    actual 'Character'
                    > > Fan-Service yet, that and sex in anime, manga, video games,
                    > cosplay,
                    > > ect come up in 1 out of every 3 conversations. It's almost like
                    an
                    > > animated college version of "Sinefeld" in the fact that they do
                    > > nothing and yet through character interation express and go
                    through
                    > > so much- it's an amazing balence. The cast is full of 'NoBodys'
                    > > I've ever heard of yet they've tweaked their characters
                    > > like "Pros"....one's even a mild studderer.
                    > >
                    > > Anyone else seen this little Gem?
                    > >
                    > > Sidd6.7

                  • sidd_6point7
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                      I sympathize...however all the Anime I buy comes from either ADV's
                      website or From "BestBuy"...if you don't have a BB near you? use the
                      internet!- they deliver! Always the best price I've seen.
                      occassionally I see some Anime sets at places that sell "used or
                      traded-in" DVD's and that's ok but BB has the best deals!.

                      I've seen stuff $15-$10 cheaper at BestBuy as opposed to Sam Goody
                      (Sam Goody owns Evil SunCoast...or vice versa) like "Maburaho" would
                      be $19-$21 at BB and $29.99 On Sale!- lol They jack their prices on
                      Box Sets as well...like a thin-pack at BB might be $29-$36 where at
                      SG it's $39-$45.

                      Ironically they Manga & Anime T-shirts and some figures and
                      when there's a sale you sometimes can make-out ok....if it's in the
                      clearance bin especially.

                      I get all my anime T's from HOT TOPIC (not one near you? go ON-
                      Line!). As for the Manga's I don't buy them but a Major chain like
                      Barnes & Noble always has a huge display and stuff for sale. I
                      got "Cromartie High School" originally cause you couldn't escape the
                      display at B&N!...I thought this show must be a 'Big Deal' if B&N
                      have a huge friggin' display (back in Mar/April) I think they
                      offered Free 2 Episode Animes (specially made for Newbies) of it if
                      you bought the manga. Sometimes they have deals like buy 3 manga's
                      get a 4th for free (or buy 5 and get 3 free?).

                      As always NetFlicks and I gotta admit the free shit in
                      NewType is often led to a purchase or two.

                      Sidd6.7

                      --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, gaiking6 <no_reply@y...>
                      wrote:

                      > Ah, Genshiken... my choice for anime sleeper hit of 2005!! I love
                      it!
                      > It has this great 'welcoming' feel for me. Each episode has at
                      least
                      > three LOL moments, and reminds me of everything that I've
                      experienced
                      > among otaku for the past 5 years. Funny, I can say that since all
                      > I've seen are US anime fans and these are supposed to be Japanese
                      red-
                      > blooded otaku. (sniff... I say 'reminds me' because of evil
                      Suncoast,
                      > see mini-rant below.)
                      >
                      > I haven't tried the manga yet, but it sounds good enough. (Great,
                      > more money to spend.) The third DVD was supposed to have been
                      > released on 12/13. Most websites don't have it available yet, but
                      > still give the same date.
                      >
                      > Of course, my crappy Suncoast doesn't have it or the Ohno figure.
                      > After they drove out the only anime dedicated store/otaku meeting
                      > hall in the city, Suncoast moved all their anime to the back wall,
                      > reduced the stock by a third, and gave up on getting anything new
                      or
                      > on time. My own little Genshiken, gone. :( I should just get a
                      > subscription to Newtype USA and never set foot in there again.
                      >
                      > So, yeah, I've HLJ'ed the Ohno figure, and the set of collector
                      > figures too. :)
                      >

                      > --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dungan
                      > <martialstax@g...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Okay, I'm buying a crate of them.
                      > >
                      > > On 1/1/06, vtr9kvictor <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > She's dressed as a ninja.
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In tiffanygrantfanclub@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dungan

                    • Mike Dungan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                        No, Kujibiki Unbalance isn't a series on it's own. It's a three episode OVA
                        that was created to give the guys from Genshiken a show to talk and obsess
                        about. The great thing is that you don't have to buy it seperately. One
                        episode of "Kujian" as the Genshiken club calls it, is included on each
                        volume of Genshiken as a bonus. The funny thing is that Kujian is supposed
                        to be a parody of "moe" anime, but truthfully, if it was a real show, I'd
                        buy it.

                        Mike Dungan
                        martialstax